North to Alaska ...

Hello all! Tomorrow morning we start on our dream trip of a lifetime ... from Florida to Alaska and back. We'll be on the road until Aug. 1. Can't wait until 7 a.m. rolls around.

akjimny

Re: North to Alaska ...

Bring money!!!!!!!!! Lots and lots of money!!!!!!!!! Canada ain't cheap. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Steve H

Have a wonderful and safe trip! We have friends that did the Alaska trek last summer for 3 months. They said it really was the trip of a lifetime!

LEN

Well I hope I have many more lifetimes. I start for the north in one week. Just out shopping today for a couple xtra tools to carry along. Jim can you give us any cheaper areas for fuel in Canada verses more expensive.

LEN

whitey

Len; Watch them Curves when you get on the Alcan some of them are bad. At lest you will have black top when i drove it was 1221 miles gravel road. Have a safe tip. Wish i could make the trip I'm 44 years to late.

larry koenn

Len,
The farther north you get the more fuel will cost, so if you can plan it out to enter Alaska real low it will be cheaper in Tok than anywhere in Canada. There used to be a station with lower fuel prices about half way from Tok to the Border but last year it seemed to be under new managment and the prices were higher.
Larry

akjimny

Like Larry said, the further you get up the ALCAN, the higher the gas prices. If you stop in Teslin, they will give you a card good for $.04 cents off a liter at their station. Not much but it helps. Just over the border on the Alaskan US side is Beaver Creek. It was cheaper than the last gas in Canada. But, of course, I had just filled up on the Canadian side. Oh well :angry: :angry: Like I said in my previous posts - $3,385.00 for gas - Florida to Alaska.

Look forward to seeing you when you get here. :) :)

LEN

Well have the MH all but packed. Freezer full of cooked food ready for the Micro and add taters and vegies. Cloths for cold, rain, wet, warm, hot and shoes for every need. Camera's spotting scopes bino's BBQ. The house looks MT, just kidding there. Fishing tackle waders and hip boots and a shotgun for animals. Full fuel and tires checked. First stop on the way north will be near Chilliwack and from then on who knows. What did I forget. Wasn't really excited until now but I'm getting pumped.

LEN

akjimny

Just take it easy and don't rush through the last 500 miles or so on the ALCAN. It will be under construction and messy. Also, they were rebuilding a couple of bridges so expect delays. Good luck and see you when you get here.. :) :)

Triple E

Have a great time Len. I hope you and jimmy will have a chance to drink a cold one.

dfedora

RE: North to Alaska ...

Last year while I was up in Canada my bank credit card got an extra $75.00 out of me for exchange fees .
So my plan is to get some Canadian cash to at least pay for most of the fuel and misc to save on the extra fees . Most places would let you use USA bills but didn't honor the 4% difference.

Len enjoy and have a safe trip.

akjimny

Dick - the exchange rate when we came up last month (April) was $1.00 Canadian = $0.92 US. I just used the credit cards to save the hassle of carrying two different types of money. And while Canadians are happy to accept US money, I would have to go to a currency exchange bank to change whatever leftover Canadian I had back to US because nobody in Alaska is happy with Canadian money.

akjimny

Great find, Len. I added it to my favorites bar. I'll use it for the trip home, since we won't be in that big a rush and will have time to sightsee. Thanks :) :)

dfedora

RE: North to Alaska ...

95% of credit cards companys / banks charge you 3% for any out of country exchanges .Visa/Master Cards
So if you spend $2500.00 for fuel /food /cg ect in Canada you will be paying your cc company $75.00 .
It all adds up in the long run.

LEN

thomasamski where are you? We just stopped in Hixon about 38 miles south of Prince George. First two days were 1/2 hard rain but traffic has been light. Fuel was 1.24 a litre and I have not figured the conversion yet. Roads have been good and had two short waits for construction. ON WE GO and maybe stick to my 200 plus a little miles a day.

LEN

akjimny

Len - the conversion is 3.7854 litres to the gallon. If you paid $1.24 per litre that equals $4.69 per gallon. Hope you walked into the station backwards with your hands up. :laugh: :laugh: It will get higher the further you get up the ALCAN. Gas here in Anchorage is running around $4.19 a gallon. :angry: :angry: But it's better than what I paid in Canada.

big bilko

Gas here is now $1.52 per litre. No one knows why, as we have ample oil fields .Why we are priced by IPEC only our greedy government knows. :angry: :angry: Regards BIG BILKO.

LEN

OK guys now sitting in Dawson city for three nites at the Bonanza gold RV park. Wow roads have been good xcept for the last 100 miles. Camping is wonderful and the wild life has been cooperating for sighting. Anyone else around????? Traffic has been horrible maybe a rig every 10 to 15 minutes. All but daylight at 12:00 midnight. Loons have been singing at night. AHHHH life is good. Fuel costs are high but I new that from the start. We have been hitting 300 miles a day but will SLLLOWWW down a lot now and view the what ever come at us. ALASKA in 3 or 4 days.

LEN

akjimny

Glad the roads are in good shape for you. From the map, looks like you took the far northern route. I've never been up thataways except courtesy of Army Aviation. Enjoy the trip and take it easy. It will all still be here whenever you arrive. :laugh: :laugh: