North to Alaska ...

Re: North to Alaska ...

Hey, Len, we're right behind you ... in Saskatchewan. Canada is expensive, for sure, but the weather has been nice except for one night of rain. Been driving a steady 55 mph and get about 11 miles to the gallon. Not bad.

LEN

The wife had never been to Dawson City and wanted this route. I've never been this far north by road so it is a new adventure for me too. Anyone coming north with no time frame I would come this route. Lots of free camping spots and beautiful and different country. The park we are in here(time for long showers and laundry)is $31 a night. Went trough town last night and will spend SOME time exploring. Meeting lots of fellow travelers, lots of nice people.
thomasamski Lust watch the little flags and cones along the road and SLOW for them, most are not bad but it only takes one tobe a earth shaker. Fuel last stop at Whitehorse was 138 diesel and a bit higher gas. Will calc fuel need and go on to TOK before refueling. Sounds like we have about 50 miles of dirt road but have been told its the best its been in years.

LEN

LEN

Well its more like a 100 miles of dirt road smooth really but dust cough cough cough. Lots of BLM parks at $10 a night. Made it to TOK for fuel $4.86. Then on to Valdez where we are now for 3 nights at the Bear Paw, gravel but nice. A little tip if your going to do and tours while up here, a book Called "Alaska toursaver" sold at Safeway under lock and key. It's $99 but you make it back on the first tour and it has fishing too 2 for one, kinda look it over and see if its for you. Just had a great Halibut dinner, nummers. OH the weather has bee all but warm enough for 730 nice and sunny.

LEN

LEN: We're in Toads River, BC. Trip is great. How bad is the Top of the World. I hear there is about 50 or so miles of gravel road.

LEN

Roads across the top were good, just figure on taking your time at 10 under the speed limit and watch the cones and flags on the edge to mark the bad places. Its more like a 100 miles of gravel. Make sure your buttoned up the dust is really bad.

LEN

Triple E

Len have you made it to Valdez yet? Back in the mid 70's I helped lay asphalt from Glennallen to Valdez. Allot of memories along there. Is there still a motel in Lower Townsena? Be sure to stop and look where the pipe line drops down those rugged cliffs just before you get to Valdez on your right. If I remember right it is close to the horse tail falls. If you have a chance go to Chitna and see all of the Copper River Salmon wheels.

Enjoy the Halibut. :approve:

LEN

Yes! sitting in Valdez right now, been here three days. Yesterday took the cruise to the Columbia glacier Wonderful Bright Sunny day and the wild life was out in force. Been to most of the sights here and moving on this morning. Have seen most of the wild life even a Griss here or real nearly in Valdez. Weathered the three day weekend, I think the fuel prices is affecting the amount of travelers as there is no problem with spaces or parking anywhere. We picked up the "Alaska Toursaver" at Safeway and saved $20 including the cost of the book $99 on the first use, if your going to do tours or fishing or lots of look see things this might be a good option. Fuel is in the 4.80-4.90 range, not hat much more than home. Still going slow now, will head to Homer area 100 to 200 miles a day or if fishing gets in the way.

LEN

Triple E

In 1978 - 79 I worked on the Homer Bypass, bypass to the Spit. You and Jimmy are making it hard not to load up and go back up there. I would love to see just how much it has changed. Glad you are enjoying yourself. :cool:

akjimny

Len - We'll be heading to Valdez pretty soon - don't know exactly when yet. Sis-in-law wants to go visit a friend who owns a bed & breakfast over there. So it will be me, Boss lady, sis-in-law, bro-in-law and 12 yorkshire terriers in the motorhome for a nice 295 mile day trip.

Finally broke down and put my son to work yesterday getting most of the US 85 / ALCAN mud, dust and dirt off the motorhome. It was actually white under all that dirt. Now I just have to sweep and mop the floor and straighten up a bit inside and we'll be ready to hit the road again.

Drive safe and we'll be seeing you. :) :)

G

well jim don't feel so bad ,, mine is white from all the sea spray that has hit it ,, my rims were nice and shiny when i got here ,, but now they look like they haven't been washed in weeks ,, and the windows :eek: ,, they look like someone took some of that fake window frosting stuff they use at christmas to them ,, but that is what u get being this close to the ocean ,, and btw sorry to get u all off track on the alaska trip ,, :( :(
but it does sound like u all are having a great time ,, me too ,, so now back to our regular scheduled post ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cool:

RE: North to Alaska ...

LEN: We're in Whitehorse and moving on this morning. I'm taking your word for it and will drive the northern route to Dawson City and Chicken and then on to Fairbanks. I still can't get used to going to bed at 11 p.m. when its broad daylight. It's throwing my biological clock way off. Wifie and pug dog, too.

akjimny

Sunrise at 0300 and sunset at 2300 is neat, huh?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LEN

Here we sit in the rain. Rain in Alaska? Jim came by you today on our way to Homer. I'll give a call this evening if I have cell. Take it EZ on the road From Pamler to Glenallen there are some really good bumps. Helped a guy with a GulfStream trailer in that area. Broke the trailer framer between the a frame and the box frame. Not much we could do except unhook the truck and wait for today to get a tow or welder out. The city guys think different than the bush as we got close to Anchorage the bump sign ment a ripple in the bush it will lift you out of your seat. Washes my rig yesterday, guess its our fault that the rain has come. Headed into Homer tomorrow and see if they can fit us onto the spit somewhere. OH man if the rain hits the Top of the World road that will mean some great looking mono colored rigs coming out this end. The just I'm getting from travelers this year is the TOP is smoother that the ALCAN.

LEN

akjimny

Well we need the rain to keep the dust down and help with the forest fires. Heard on the news that they closed a portion of the Parks highway from Fairbanks to Anchorage due to the fires. And after all, this is just Alaskan light misty-type rain - not like the rain down in Florida that can wash the paint off a new car. :laugh: :laugh: The fish don't care if it's raining or not. :) :)

LEN

Went Clamming this morning, only got 1/2 a limit which is 2 limits in Wa. Good sized for the most part and did not get rained on. Sitting for the second night in a pullout south of clam gulch south of Soldotna. Clearing now and can see across the bay to the mountains. Looks like the halibut guys did ok today but looked like smaller ones.

LEN

LEN

OK moved down to Homer Spit at a pay site "Homer Spit CG". Going to the Theater tonight so had to dig out the TUX and the wife the high-heels and formal with the white gloves. Weather is a bit cool so went for an electric site. ah hell its only money. Camp grounds look about at least 1/2 MT. As you can see have WIFI and a great view west"she's in a bikini" SURE. Had fresh clams for dinner last night yum yum. Homer new woman reported at 11:29pm a man mowing his lawn, man was told to cease at this hour. GOTTA love it.

LEN

akjimny

Len - Alaskan formal wear is blue jeans or carharts and a clean flannel shirt. Tux?? :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :) :)

H2H1

hey Jim I agree, who carries a TUX in there MH? jeans and clean shirt is all is needed :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LEN

Well made it out of Homer. Got to the show and it was good, did a little halibut fishin and have the freeze packed. Now sitting at Deep Creek and watching the eagles moose and so on. Weather is cool but nice if the wind stays down.

LEN