North to Alaska ...

Re: North to Alaska ...

Made it to Seward, AK. We're staying at the Stoney Creek RV Park that is surrounded by snow capped mountains. Alaska is beautiful. Saw buffalo, moose, mountain goats, bears along the way. For those of you contemplating an Alaskan trip ... bring lots of money because it is expensive up here and Canada is even moreso. But it's worth event cent. We're going on to Homer on the Kanei Peninsula and then back to Tok over the Top of the World Highway and down into Montana. We expect to get home sometime in August.

akjimny

I'm envious of both of you. I'm stuck here in Anchorage taking the Boss Lady to various doctor appointments. Hopefully heading up to the Matanuska Valley next week to visit the son and do a little trout fishing. I'll get my salmon fishing done when the reds come into the Russian River. Ahhh, nothing like a little combat fishing. :laugh: :laugh: :) :)

Also have a trip in the works to Valdez with the Bro and Sis-In-Laws, so maybe I'll get a chance to do some fishing over there.

Everybody drive safe!!

Triple E

I sure hope you three have a chance to get together while you are up there. Thomas I worked on the Moose Pass project back in the mid 70's and the Homer Spit Bypass in 78 and 79. Bet it does not look the same. Jimmy you are envious, at least you are up there. Darn. I have to make it back up there. :(

LEN

I'll be moving again tomorrow from NInilchik over towards Whittier and Portage for two days then moving on towards Dinali by next weeks end. When you get down this way spend a night at Deep Creek rec site just south of Ninilchik, no hookup but plenty of room and good fire pits. And the Eagle viewing is outragious.

LEN

I've seen moose, buffalo, mountain goats and all sorts of other critters in Alaska. Seen seagulls, but I can see them any time in my native Florida. Oh where, Oh where do the eagles soar?

dfedora

RE: North to Alaska ...

Will someone please tell me that you have caught some Salmon or at least some trout !!!! Please :eek: :eek:

Enjoy

LEN

Well trout doesn't open till tomorrow. And the Salmon has been on some days of the week, not when I have been able. Plus the charters for Kings have been in $200 range to go to sea. Don't know what the river guides are charging, but most of the rivers have not opened yet for combat fishing, just a little early. Did catch Halibut to fill the freezer. We will be looking at trout and grayling in the next week or two.

LEN

akjimny

Len - the river guides are charging $200 plus for a full day charter and $150 plus for a half day charter. That's part of the reason I don't fish for kings. Another is the fact that I've never caught one, sp pretty much gave up on it. I can catch my weight in reds and that'll do (except for last year). If I am reading the fishing regs correctly, any stocked lake is open year round for fishing. The only restrictions are on flowing waters.

Glad you caught a bunch or halibut. I don't know if it is worth it to spend the money on a halibut charter or just go to the seafood market and buy halibut. We'll see when I get to Homer - or Seward.

LEN

They have $85 old guys rate for 1/2 day out of Homer, you don't get big ones but fun and if you only keep the bigger of these small ones you beat store price by a bit and have the day of fishing.

LEN

LEN

They only go 1.5 hours out for the 1/2 day and 3.5 for the all day. If your up here with a RV the 1/2 day gets the fun and enough fish to pay for the fun and you must find freezer room. But if your after the bigger fish, then as I saw from what was coming back on the boats the all day paid for itself and then a lot more. Limit i2 2 fish per day, they also have over night where you go out in the evening catch 2 then wait till after 12 and catch two more.

LEN

LEN

OK update time. Just spent 3 nights in Denali at Teclanika cg nice and quiet. And the gustapo run the place Rules are rules but shhhheeeesh!! Cook the steak(late dinner for us 8:00 or so) go inside to eat and they are knocking on your door, the grille is unattended, crap it's hot enough if a grizz try's to eat he's going to have a sore mouth. Saw the mountain both days we went on the bus in to wonder lake and the animals were out. Even saw a pair of grizz doing the dirty LOL. Sorry Jimmy got hooked up with some people and could not work the beer stop in. Now sitting in Riverview RV in Fairbanks for a week and have both airs on. Lots of fun stuff planned here over the longest day.

LEN

akjimny

That's okay, Len. Boss Lady has been having medical issues and we've been sticking pretty close to home base here in Anchorage. We're supposed to go up to Wasilla to spend some time with our son next week. How's the smoke from the big fire up there? It makes the 6:00 o'clock news down here every night, so I guess it must be pretty big. Drive safe!! :) :)

LEN

Maybe thats what is getting the temp. up but we saw no smoke from the top of the hill before Fairbanks and no smoke in the air now. Had both airconditioners on yesterday afternoon and this morning at 9:30 it is really warm in the coach already, maybe short are in order. Give the skeeters a bigger target. We are looking at all the things to do here for the Solstice festival.

LEN

akjimny

You're a better photographer than I am. Seems like every time we see an animal and get the camera out and turned on and take the picture, the subject is walking/running away. Got lots of pictures of buffalo butts, moose butts, bear butts, etc. I need to learn your technique. :laugh: :laugh: :) :)

RDGee

This thread was so fun to read. Makes me want to be in an RV heading to Alaska. Question......What are the license regulations for fishing in Alaska? or anywhere that you RV to....a license for each state that you plan to fish?

akjimny

Hi Ruth and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. License requirements are $$$MONEY. One year non-resident license is $140.00. If you want to fish for King Salmon, add another $100.00 for a king stamp.

Now that is for the entire year (which expires on Dec 31st, so is actually 6 months for me). Alaska also sells 1 day @ $20.00; 3 day @ $35.00; 7 day @ $55.00 and 14 day @ $80.00. I figured since I was going to be here 6 months and could go fishing at any time, the "One Year" license was a better buy.

If you are coming up and know exactly when you are going to go fish, buy a shorter period license. DO NOT get caught without one, that will be real expensive.

If you like the great outdoors and like to fish, come on up. Took Boss Lady and me two weeks to drive from Florida to Anchorage, and we'll be heading back up again next Spring. Maybe we'll see you on the road. :laugh: :laugh: :) :) :)

LEN

Little update here. We Are out of Alaska and I got the grayling I needed for the bucket list. At Teslin YK for tonight then on to the Cassiar. A moose and 2 calfs tried to run us over today but she missed and the black bear were out no pics but mem's. Got kinda dirty on the first part of the Yukon and you must go slow or risk an adventure of the costly type.
More late

LEN