Not sure which 5th wheel to purchase

sunnyhello03

Looking at buying a new Montana Mountaineer 36 ft 5th wheel (Model #345DBQ). We like all this RV has to offer but not the price. Salesperson said the Fabricated Galvan. Steel Truss Rafters set this RV apart from the others with Wooden Truss Rafters. We plan on keeping this baby a long time so I'm wondering if this is something we should consider in selecting a RV. We have found the Sprinter Keystone Copper Canyon 355FWBHS and Forest River Sandpiper 355QBQ compariable in features to the Montana Mountaineer this but they have the Wooden Truss Rafters.

The Wooden Truss Rafter RV's are about $7000 less. Am I making a bigger deal than it's worth or are the steel truss rafters worth the extra cost?

Any Feedback would help! Really need to purchase a 5th wheel but can't decide which is the better deal.

ED

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Not sure which 5th wheel to purchase

I have actually never heard of Steel Rafters. They are either wood or Aluminum. Why would you even put steel on top of aluminum sidewall framing???

Check out SunnyBrook's Bristol Bay or Brookside. Aluminum rafters and they will blow away what you are looking at.

DL Rupper

I would definitely stay away from the Forest River products. Just My Opinion. Search Forest River Issues on this forum.

SunnyBrook makes a good RV. Remember you get what you pay for.

I have an ALL wood framed RV and it's 14 years old and is still going strong. At one time the all wood frames were considered to be the best, but cost/weight drove most manufacturers to aluminum.

sunnyhello03

Grandview Trailer Sa, I doubled checked and yes the brouchure and website say, "5" Fabricated steel truss rafter". Has anyone ever had a problem with leaks on roof and rotting the wood on the Rafters after years of use?

JimE

RE: Not sure which 5th wheel to purchase

Eva, I would highly suggest taking Ken's highly qualified advice.

SnowbirdInFlight

RE: Not sure which 5th wheel to purchase

sunnyhello03 - 5/26/2009 11:28 PM Looking at buying a new Montana Mountaineer 36 ft 5th wheel (Model #345DBQ). We like all this RV has to offer but not the price. Salesperson said the Fabricated Galvan. Steel Truss Rafters set this RV apart from the others with Wooden Truss Rafters. We plan on keeping this baby a long time so I'm wondering if this is something we should consider in selecting a RV. We have found the Sprinter Keystone Copper Canyon 355FWBHS and Forest River Sandpiper 355QBQ compariable in features to the Montana Mountaineer this but they have the Wooden Truss Rafters. The Wooden Truss Rafter RV's are about $7000 less. Am I making a bigger deal than it's worth or are the steel truss rafters worth the extra cost? Any Feedback would help! Really need to purchase a 5th wheel but can't decide which is the better deal. ED

I own a Forest River product. It is a 2000 Sierra Travel Trailer, 38 ft long. We have had no problems with it, other than it is so long, lol. Also, Forest River is a division of Berkshire Hathaway, the world's largest investment group. It is run by it's founder Warren Buffet. I'm sure someone as smart as Warren Buffet knows a quality product when he sees it. However, that is not to say every single unit is going to be perfect, just as no other manufacturer;s product is going to be perfect. It all boils down to what you like and what you want in an RV. Do your own investigating and don't let others (who don't own a Forest River product) tell you how bad they are. That is like someone who has never eaten shrimp telling you they taste horrible, lol. Check with owners of the different makes to get a better understanding of the RV you wish to purchase.

Welcome to the forum and happy RV hunting!

C Nash

Wood is fine as long as there are no leakes. All rvs are prone to leaks> It's up to the owner to keep them properly maintained. I see no advantage of steel truss over aluminium. Guess they may be stronger but size would determin that. Why add the extra weight of steel? I have also never heard of steel truss. I know HR says my HR has a steel driver cage but i feel no safer in it :) Check them all research and then go with what you like. There are lemons in all makes. JMO

Grandview Trailer Sa

I like to say, "Even a blind hog can snort out an acorn every now and then". I used to sell that brand....they still owe me warranty money where I kept my customers happy. They did not keep me happy and now I sell BETTER trailers.

C Nash

Ken, maybe that's why Buffet has so much money. He has part of yours. :angry: :(

SnowbirdInFlight

Grandview Trailer Sa - 5/27/2009 8:40 PM I like to say, "Even a blind hog can snort out an acorn every now and then". I used to sell that brand....they still owe me warranty money where I kept my customers happy. They did not keep me happy and now I sell BETTER trailers.

So from now on I will just refer to all the men in 'the gang' a bunch of Blind Hogs, lol. How fitting. ;)

TexasClodhopper

SnowB., I wonder why you are making a derogatory personal comment about other members of the forum? I don't see where anyone has made any comments about you. It isn't at all appropriate for this forum.

Grandview Trailer Sa

From now on SB is ignored on my end. I did not ask for that. Personally I am glad her trailer was apparently the best FR ever made. There are a LOT of their product around here with Delaminated Fiberglass, Rotted roofs, Leaky slideouts, etc. I see it a LOT because people ask me to work on them. I DON'T come on here and report each and every case.

She has a chip on her shoulder about something. Glad her trailer is prefect, most are not.

C Nash

Think SB just likes to rattle our chain. I have been called a lot worse than a blind hog :laugh: for giving my opinion. She did say she was jusk kidding :)

SnowbirdInFlight

C Nash - 5/28/2009 9:15 AM Think SB just likes to rattle our chain. I have been called a lot worse than a blind hog :laugh: for giving my opinion. She did say she was jusk kidding :)

Thank you Nash for being rational!!! At least one of you has a clear head on their shoulders. Every other person on here can joke, say horrible things to each other, add a smiley face or winkie face and no one thinks twice. I guess humor isn't really welcomed on here unless you are a man. At least Nash isn't overly sensitive to what type of animal he is, lol. :eek: ;)

sunnyhello03

Thanks for all the responses :) and glad everyone is hear to help us RV beginners. I'm so glad my husband and I didn't rush to by 5th before doing our homework (we almost did). Before I post again, I will make sure I run a Search on my question. After going back and reading posts, regarding FR issues, I understand some of the comments that have been posted here. Seems I have brought back the past :eek: Anywho, thanks again and keep the advice a flowing- Positive or negative :laugh:

ED

SnowbirdInFlight

Grandview Trailer Sa - 5/28/2009 8:21 AM From now on SB is ignored on my end. I did not ask for that. Personally I am glad her trailer was apparently the best FR ever made. There are a LOT of their product around here with Delaminated Fiberglass, Rotted roofs, Leaky slideouts, etc. I see it a LOT because people ask me to work on them. I DON'T come on here and report each and every case. She has a chip on her shoulder about something. Glad her trailer is prefect, most are not.

Come on GTS you were referring to yourself as a 'blind hog' by saying even a blind hog could snort out an acorn every now and then. (Your analogy, not mine.)

Blind Hog = You and others

Acorn = Forest River Product

Therefore, according to your own words you think of yourself as equal to a 'blind hog'. Don't get all girl-sensitive now and say I 'hurt your feelings'!

I'm truly sorry GTS if I hurt your feelings. You and the others aren't a bunch of blind hogs. There, all better now? :laugh: