Oil Capacities for the 6.8L V10 Ford Engine

Old Forum Post

[R. R. Imes] I purchased a 2000 Hurricane Class A motor home with the Ford V-10 6.8L engine a few months ago. This engine is the 415 cubic inch motor with 275 horsepower. The specifications manual shows the engine oil refill capacity including the oil filter change to be 5.7 liters or 6.0 quarts of 5W-30 oil. However the oil level on the oil dip stick shows the oil level to be nearly a quart low with 6 quarts. I have talked to the Ford RV customer service folks about this and they claim that some of the Ford V-10 engines had the incorrect dip stick manufactured, installed and shipped out in some of their Ford V-10 products. I have talked with one owner of a 2000 Hurricane like mine and this person claims that his spec manual states that the V-10 requires 7 quarts of oil with a filter change?????????? I&#039m confussed, does anyone have the correct information about these engines? If it is truly only a 6 quart capacity will adding an additional quart hurt anything. If anyone has knowledge of this oil capacity difference and those of you running Ford V-10 engines in you motor homes I would like to hear of your experience in this area. Is it 6 quarts or 7?

Old Forum Post

[GRIFF] I HAD A 1998 F-150 4.6 and had the oil changed a a lot of different oil change depots and it always took 6.5 qts I now have a F250 V10 and have had the oil changed twice and both times it took 6.5 qt. I don&#039t think I would over fill it.

Old Forum Post

[ron] I HAVE A 1999 DOLPHIN WITH THE SAME ENGINE AND THE SAME DIPSTICK READING. FORD TOLD ME MANY MANUFACTURERS CHANGE THE DIPSTICK ROUTING TO ACCOMODATE THEIR OWN UNITS AND THEY SOMETIMES MUST RECONFIGURED DIPSTICK - THAT IS THE REASON FOR THE CONFUSION. THEY (FORD) STATED, BOOK QUANITIES (6 QUARTS) ARE WHAT THAT ENGINE REQUIRES - NO MORE NO LESS. I SCRIBED A MARK ON MY DIPSTICK FOLLOWING CHANGING MY OWN OIL (6QTs) & FILTER. I USE THAT AS THE FULL MARK NOW. INTERESTINGLY ENOUGH, MY FULL MARK IS APPX,WHERE THE 1 QT.LOW MARK IS ON THE MANUFACTURES DIPSTICK!!

Old Forum Post

[G dauth] The Ford manual says 6 quarts with filter. Do not put more than 6 quarts in when you change oil and filter. Too much oil is just as bad as not enough. Several things can happen with too much oil, one is you can blow your crank seals. The other thing that can happen is that your oil can foam. When the oil foams, you lose lubercating ability and you can end up causing damage to your engine including your bearings.

I had to fight with my dealer every time I got an oil and filter change, one reason I got rid or my F53 rig.