Oil for a 2004 E-450 6.8L motorhome?

shadow24

Hello,
I am looking to do my first oil change in my 04 Jayco. It has the V-10 E-450. From everything I've read I am only supposed to use 5W-20 oil. Does anyone know if 5W-40 oil would work? I would like to use the Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic.
I am also considering using Lucas sythetic oil stabilizer.
Any comments?
Joe

TexasClodhopper

My V10 drinks Mobil 1 synthetic. I forget the weight, but it still is what is recommended in the book.

kitfoxjh

Joe, I would stick with the 5-20. Your warranty would be void if you didn't. I just changed my oil for the first time last fall. I got it at a local auto store like Auto Zone. The book also says not to use additives. John....

shadow24

Well, I went to a newer Wal-mart supercenter and was very pleased to find lots of Motorcraft filters, even one that fits. And the exact right 5W-20 Motorcraft oil. Not a bad price either. :) :)

WilleyB

According to my owners manual for my E350 V10 6.8, its 5W30 all year round. Oil change at 3000 miles or 3 months which ever occurs first.
I'm afraid I've never used synthetic oil, I've heard it's supposed to be good, but it would take a lot of convincing before I would depart from the owner's manual advice. Also it states not to use the same oil that is used for diesel engines, it also states not to use any additives to the oil.

s.harrington

Synthetic oil is best because it doesn't break down as fast under load and temp. If you look under the hood it will tell you what weight of oil to use and which specs it must meet. You Ford owners beware. When you go to have your tranny oil changed some of you will need to have the new Mercon5 tranny fluid and some will not. It sould tell you in your Ford manual which one you need.

WilleyB

quote:need to have the new Mercon5 tranny fluid and some will not. It sould tell you in your Ford manual which one you need.
Thank's for that info, I'll be looking that up in my owners manual, looking at the books in the stores I found it to be confusing as to what should be used so I didn't buy any at the time. I'll have a look at my book, may have to ask a few questions after that. Will the syntethic oil be the same grade (5W30)? I like to keep spare motor and transmission oil in my vehicles and add it myself when and if necessary.
Regards