OK been a year. How much ???

LEN

I am going to go through the whole thing before I have my back operation( have to have a fusion).
What should I expect for the cost as I am supplying all the hardware.
Change oil and filter
Change both fuel filers
Change transmission fluid and both filters
Change Air dryer filter
Change 3rd member fluid
Change antifreeze
lube job

Any thing I left out???

LEN

ironart

Re: OK been a year. How much ???

Hi Len
Sorry to hear about your back.....

The Trans will be your largest expense...Having to drop the pan and all... Call your local trans shop and they will tell you what it will cost....
I am real lucky here.....I just found some Mexican truck mechanics with a lub bay and they said they would do all that for me (No Trans work) If I supplies the "Hardware" for $40.00
Don't expect that from a local RV mechanic..or Service center they are getting right around $100.00 an Hr. here and I would say you are in for 2 hrs not including the Trans.

G

Len ,, sorry to hear about u'r back ,, but i understand ,, the wife may have to have the same thing ,, but as for u'r rv ,, ironart hit the nail on the head Trans is the most expensive ,, but u can have a total flush of the trans ,, and it cleans the filter without dropping it ,, but it does cost ,, usally around $129.00 or so ,, but it cleans the converter ,, cooler and everything ,, but please keep us up to date after u'r surg ,, and i hope that u will be out and about rving after it soon :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :) :) :)

H2H1

Len I can't give you any advice on all your up coming work. But I do wish you well on your back. I will be praying for a fast and complete recovery. Good Luck and happy camping once you get wel

C Nash

Len, good luck with the back. Might also be time for a front wheel brg repack. Keep us posted.

LEN

Thanks for all your thoughts on the back. Surgery is set for Oct 2nd. And for Rod the doc prescribed 2 weeks on the beech in Hawaii starting Dec 3rd. The trans has two filters a 3060 allisen and gallons of fluid. Think I would need a fifty gallon barrel for all the oil antifreeze and trans fluid in this thing. It also has the oil bearings in the front. Would have done most of this my self but now the back UUUHHHH. Just hoping that I can get it all done in one day for 85-100 an hr. Thinking about having a steering stablizer put on at the same time. Anyone have the safety plus with the centering devise?

LEN

C Nash

Hey Len, you done said the magic word "BEACH" Rod is on his way to do the work FREE :laugh: :laugh: I have the steer safe on our gas burner and would recomend it on a gasser but dont know about the pusher.

H2H1

Hey Nash did you install it or did you get someone else to do it? If you did it what is the level of difficult is it. I may be looking into one if I can install it. :laugh: BTW if I put some sand around my pool and call it a BEACH you think I could get Rod to come down and do it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

C Nash

I had the dealer install before buying as part of the deal Hollis. The steer safe would be no trouble at all to install. I wanted it for the safety in case of tire failure. Really seems to take the wander out of steering also if thats a problem. Only disavantage is when lubing and needing to turn the wheels to get at greese fittings the wheels return to straight ahead position unless you have someone to hold the wheel.

G

well i got to say this ,, i would do all that work for free ,, but there is one catch ,, it needs to be at a real beach ,, and Hawaii sounds like the place ,, but don't expect it done in a week or two ,, i got waves to ride ;) ,, what u thought just since i was doing it for free i would jump right on it ??? and in Hawaii ,, with all the big waves ,, and PIPE ,, not happening :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :approve: :approve: :approve: :evil: :evil: :evil:

hertig

Don't forget to service the generator too.

We used to have a really good shop here, and their mechanic was mobile. He came to my house and did everything (engine, chassis, transmission and generator). I think it was around $800 including parts. Unfortunately, the shop closed and the mechanic seems not to be around any more, so now I am SOL.

dastout

RE: OK been a year. How much ???

Len
Just had everything done on my dutchstar you want to do. Except i did not replace antifreeze, but i did have the onan quiet diesel oil changed along with fuel filter & aircleaner.

I took it to a Allison dealer because I really wanted the trans serviced by somebody that knew what they were doing. By the way the filters are removed without dropping any pan.

I think they did a good job but when I got the bill I was shocked. $1366.33. I did opt for the synthetic trans oil which added about $110.00 but can go longer between changes both in milage and time

The engine is a 300 hp cat and the trans is a mh 3000. It has been 2 weeks now I and I am still not over it!

Good luck on the back, I have some of those issues also.

David :eek:

LEN

Well I spent a bit more but it is in line with what you said. I did change the anti freeze in both gen and cat. The only surprise was the cost of the air dryer kit $269 ouch ouch ouch. While I was there I had the bell crank replaced and a safe-t-steer put on and that really added up. Now to get over the back surgery this Thursday, I did winterize the DP today, And come January maybe I can meet up with some on the board somewhere between Washington and Texas. I took it to Brazels in Centralia as they are Allison service shop and do a bunch on the steering and performance side.

LEN

ndnparts

I had the hydraulic Safe-T-Plus on my old gasser (Ford chassis) and I loved it. I even had a front blowout once and it helped a great deal.

Now, my current DP has the Steer Safe spring unit and I don't like it, so I am changing it out to the Safe-T-Plus unit. I don't think the Steer Safe is a bad unit, but I assume because the DP has a much sharper steering cut I get a lot of spring noise (creaking) when making tight turns and it drives me nuts. So, it's coming off and if we can get the correct brackets for a reasonable cost, I'll be giving it to my brother in law for his gasser with a Kodiak chassis. If not, I'll just put it on craigslist to get rid of it.

So, having had both thypes, I would probably be fine with the spring type with a gasser, but I don't like it on a DP. Now if the newer gassers have a sharper steering cut than the older ones, you may not like it on a gasser, but both systems do function very well. Stan

C Nash

Stan is correct on the spring noise when in tight turns. It has never bothered me on the gasser.