On A Budget 5th Wheel

Cheese Steak

Hello All, I am shopping for a used 5th wheel and have question for the experienced RV family online. What used 5th wheel would shop for and what pit falls should I look for? Please use $8500.00 as the highest price possible and keep in mind that I know very little about 5th wheel RVs. We have been tent campers and are at an age that the comforts of a 5th wheel have become very appealing. :question: :question:

C Nash

On A Budget 5th Wheel

Hi Cheese Steak,
What will you be using for a tow truck? In this price range I would look at the Jayco and Terry units. You should also find some prowlers around this price. A lot of people don't like the Fleetwood units but, if I found the right price and one that had been taken care of i would not hesitate to buy one. Some things to look for are soft spots in floors and walls, especially in coners, around windows, water spots on ceiling, look close around air condition and vents, look under all cabnits and take a sharp object and probe around edges for soft spots, do the same in outside storage compartments, walk around on top looking for soft spots. Time to crawl underneath and pay close attention to the frame looking for any damage, condition of axles and wiring. How are the tires? Any weather cracks which would indicate dry rot. . The tread can look new and the tires if old can blow before you get it home. Five years is about the life of tires regardless of tread (IMO). Overall appeareance will generally tell how the unit has been taken care of. Be sure and check all appliances for proper operation. The same with plumbing, water heater, commode, shower and don't forget all fresh water and holding tanks. Look at a lot of different units sit on the funiture, lie on the bed, sit on the pot (dry run) stand in the shower and then start over and look again. Good luck

Cheese Steak

On A Budget 5th Wheel

Hi, First of all thanks for all the great information. My real name is Jack and my much better half is Bonnie. I will be pulling the 5th wheel with an 1987 Ford E350 Van Up Conversion,2WD, Dual wheels, Fresh rebuilt Jasper Diesel, New automatic trans, New brakes, New AC,The Total miles are 140,000. But it looks much newer then it's age or mileage. It has three hitches,one is class IV bumper hitch. She is a good old girl and just humms on the interstate. By the way we are almost neighbors,we are in Brandon,Mississippi. Well Thanks Again and keep in touch, Jack (Cheese Steak) and Bonnie :laugh:

C Nash

On A Budget 5th Wheel

Hi Jack, sounds like a great tow vehicle except you have kind of got me on the E350 van up conversion. tell me more :question: Got a Brother over that way that owns a crop duster flying service around Bentonia (sp)Miss :) Keep us up-dated on what you find :approve:

Gary B

On A Budget 5th Wheel

Hi Jack, Chelse covered it quite well, I would add be sure to try the refer make sure you know it is working, they cost about $1200 plus installation, furnaces run about $450 to $600 plus install. A couple more rvs to think about is the NUWA Hitchhikers (excellent rvs), Coachmen, I have a customer that bought a 1994 24' Hitchhiker II about a 1.5 yrs. ago for $9250.00 it is in like new condition, no slide, but very nice. So they are out there but it takes a lot of looking, have patience and as Chelse said, look look look everywhere at least twice.
We are now looking for a smaller Travel trailer to replace our slide in camper as the better half is having problems getting in and out of the camper. NO Chelse we are not getting rid of the ole Ford/Bounder, or the F-350 duallie figure if I get a 23 /24' TT then no can give me greif about being overloaded, at least I hope. :laugh: ;) :bleh: :shy:

Cheese Steak

On A Budget 5th Wheel

Hello Gary, Thanks for the advice :) On the subject of a light-
weight,I know of a fellow who went to see a new "Airstream Bambi" it was $38,000 plus.He said he is now looking for an "Airolite Cub C230F"). He says he can pull it with his '93 Bronco.
I agree with you on the "NuWa" products,they seem to be just a little better all the way around.
Take it easy, Cheese Steak (Jack)