Onan Generator

todder

I have a 4kw onan in my Coachmen classic. It only has 183 hours on the meter. The problem it has is that after 20 minutes to a half of running great it slows and smokes big time. Let it cool off for an hour or so and it will fire right back up and do it again after half hour or so. All normal stuff checked, cleaned carb ect. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Todd

C Nash

Re: Onan Generator

What year is the Coachman? Sounds like it is flooding. What color is the smoke? Did you replace the needle valvein the carb?

todder

It is a 1989. I didn't replace anything in the carb just cleaned it good. The smoke is more white than dark. It does act like it suddenly goes way rich but I can watch the choke and it does not move when this happens. thanks todd

G

I would pull one of the plugs that is easy to get to and see if it's fouling out,, also that year genset had points i would ck them also ,, is the exhuast sytem ok to the set??? and when did u last chage the filter??

todder

I did change plugs but didn't check the points. It just seems wierd to go rich after a certain period. Maybe valve seals? There is a lot of oil in the air cleaner when it does it.

G

Ok then i would check the tube that goes into the aircleaner housing form the motor,, as u said there is oil in the housing so i guess that the tube is fine,, but there is a knda pcv thingy on the back side of this genset ,, just folow the tube and u'll see wher it goes,,, there is a valve in this box that u'll find and somtimes that valve gets stuck,, u can clean it and hope it works or just go to the Cummins dealer and get a new piece,,,
If the valve is not stuck then it sounds like u might have some ring problems that show up after the engine gets warm....
Bty how many hours on the genset again????

gladysdale

RE: Onan Generator

Is the service door installed? Without the service door installed, the unit will overheat and then shut down automatically.
Dale J 94 Trek