Opinions please on aluminum vs wood framing

Old Forum Post

[Deedee] This will be my first RV purchase. I&#039ve heard that wood framing is out, aluminum is in but I&#039ve found a 5th wheel I&#039m interested in that still is being manufactured in wood - the Excel Classic. Excel&#039s manfacturer stands by their wood frame citing their construction methods, etc. My husband wants aluminum but I think there&#039s more to it since the Excel is rated so high. I&#039m open for any opinions please.

Old Forum Post

[Doug] Wood rots! If you should happen to get a leak around a window, roof vent or seam the water will run down inside the wall. I have had two occasions where there was no evidence inside the rig that I had a leak and I later had rotting wall or floor joists. This is generally not covered by warranty because it is up to the owner to maintain the caulking. Aluminum or steel will not rot but is genearlly more expensive.

Old Forum Post

[Gary B] HI Deedee, Excel makes an excellent unit, they stand behind the product, as to wood or alum. I think it&#039s 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. Yes wood rots, but the interior walls the floors are all wood, so if you don&#039t keep your rig water tight your going to have problems, wood is warmer in the cold and easier and less expensive to repair, alum is lighter, good luck on your search GB

Old Forum Post

[Bill From Illinois] I got a 2000 trail-lite and i only have one problem with the alum. You can&#039t sleep in it when it rains. It sounds like water droping into hot greese. Good luck in your choice but i suggest you try both out before you buy i wish i had. I would be in wood