order or buy off lot

docD

Getting closer to the big leap. Have the urge to just drive one home that is close to what I want, but since planning on having it a long time, also would like to order exactly what I want. Those of you who have ordered, did the wait drive you crazy? Are you glad you waited the 1-3 ,months to get exactly what you wanted? Does it make a difference in how much dealer will negotiate off msrp price?
This site has been so helpful. Thanks to all of you.

campbud

order or buy off lot

We took ours off the lot, there were somethings it didnt have but we had the dealer throw them into the deal. So it was much cheaper than ordering. We decided on another option after we had made the deal...the dealer ended up giving it to us for cost, so that worked out good. We got a considerable amount off the msrp price on this deal, we were very happy with the deal and the rv!

Kirk

order or buy off lot

If you have an honest dealer, he can always sell a unit that is special ordered for less to make a profit than he can one that is on the lot. The reason is that there is almost no overhead involved in a special order unit. In fact, you pay a deposit, which the dealer can get interest on while the unit is being built, and all that the dealer has in expenses is the sales commission, make ready, and the short amount of time put in by the office preparing paper work and the F&I person in closing the sale. Many dealers use a special order as an excuse to inflate the price, but it makes him the most profit of any sale. If you want to improve the price, call the manufacturer and get the phone numbers of the dealers in a reasonable distance from your location. The get an order and spec the unit you want to buy listing all options and such that you will want. Next, call all of the dealers and offer them the chance to bid on the sale of this unit, special ordered. If they are interested, fax each one a copy of the spec sheet and wait for the response. By doing that we saved a little more than 10% over the best offer that we had from our local dealer and since we are fulltime, who cares what the local dealer thinks of this idea?

C Nash

order or buy off lot

If time was not a problem I would order and get everything I wanted. Remember the ones on the lot has had a lot of traffic through it if it has been there on the lot and maybe even to shows. Take Kirks advice and don't listen to the dealer cry about higher price of ordering. Sure he had rather put you in the one on the lot.

docD

order or buy off lot

Thanks again for all you info. Chelse, the only problem with time is waiting on the one to come from the factory ..I think I'll ge like a kid waiting for Christmas.

C Nash

order or buy off lot

Doc, don't think I could stand the wait. I would probably be at the factory watching them. :laugh:

twinstar

order or buy off lot

I always order and take delivery at the factory or a dealer near the factory. I usually keep things a long time, and for me, there is nothing like truly new. If there are problems, which there were on the one we are driving now, sometimes the factory can make repairs before your trip home. Besides, you get a nice memorable trip out of the deal. And, as Mr. Nash said above, your unit is truly new, and the breakin is in your hands, not someone in a hurry to get it delivered and get paid. The bathroom is nice and clean too, not used by the delivery people or those who may have been using the unit at shows or even in the dealer lot. I would pay a premium for factory delivery if I had to, but, as stated above, the dealer can sell you one you order for less money. The wait is just like Christmas used to be, and I used to like Christmas, so just order what you want and re-live the anticipation and excitement. Besides, ordering exactly what you want and waiting for it helps you bond with your new RV!

docD

order or buy off lot

Thanks for all the info. Now I'm making my plan. I've printed out what some of the "megalo-mart" dealers are offering and am going to take to local dealer and see how close he will come, get his offer on financing vs. local bank and try my poker face and see how far I get down the road. I like comment on picking it up myself, never thought about how it was driven for those crucial break in miles...