Our Full Timing Nightmare

utmtman

The end of Oct we decided to hit the road after selling our house and become full time rvers. So we went to the nearest Camping World and bought a splendide all in one. They screwed up our installation something dearly. Ok thats minor we will get it fixed along the way.
Five days later we are enroute to Branson, Missouri and our change oil light comes on. Oh what fun. We get to Camping World near Springfield, Mo, and they changed the oil, properly installed the Splendide and tell us that our front tires need to be replaced due to dry rot. So we set an appt for getting that done. Day before we get it done my computer crashed and so did my router. So now we are buying a new laptop, router, and two tires. To the tune of around 2000 dollars for the four.
Ok we leave Mo and head to Louisiana from Camping World.
Get to Louisiana and the exhaust falls off our car. A week later our Moto Sat satellite dish on the roof is wiped out in a storm and the roof on the rv leaks in the same storm.
We get the car fixed, satellite repaired, and roof sealed. Another 500 dollars out the window.
The next week furnace goes out, fridge starts to bubble and grey tank sensor goes bonkers. We get the furnace fixed and sensor ordered and told my Norcold that until fridge rusts or peels this is normal. Good grief. Im now out another 250 dollars.
The next week another storm and the slideout leaks and floods the bedroom, I go to the car and its got two inches of water in it, from where we have no idea. I run to walmart and buy a shampooer to clean up the water and hit a water puddle in the road on the way home and knock out the coil, rotor, and cap on the car.
Monday it goes to the shop and they repair it to the tune of about 500 dollars.
Ok we have been full timing now for two and a half months and we are out around 3300 dollars for repairs on our car and rv.
What a way to start off fulltime rving. I am keeping a positive outlook that this will be our only problems for a long time to come and that unlike those who get them over time we are getting all of ours from the start and be done with them.
Hopefully this is only a minor setback and we will keep right on a truckin.

G

Re: Our Full Timing Nightmare

look at this way ,, now u got all the fulltiming troubles out of the way ,, so next ,, smooth rving ,, i hope ,, i had a similar prob ,, but it was in the tire area ,, the first trip out with a brand new MH ,, no miles on it at all ,, anyway,, 12 miles from home ,, rt front tire blows ,, changed it myself ,, go to the nearest town and buy a new tire ,, put it as spare ,,, same trip but many miles later ,, boom,, inside dual blows ,, changed it myself ,, then agian ,, buy a new tire ,, moral of story ,, it's part of rving,,, and bty when i got home 8 brand new tires ,, Michelin Ribs ....
but hey sometimes that's how it goes ,, one rv thing after anouther,, but hang in there ,, cause it does get better ;) :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :) :) :)
Lee u are welcome to join our chat room just got to http://www.texasclodhopper.net/phpmychat/plus
we get together on there around 9pm est ,, but u'r welcome to join
:approve: :approve: :approve: :cool: :cool: :) :)

*scooter*

I can see some good stories for a book here. And in the years to follow, looking back at these stories hopefully it will bring smiles and maybe a laugh. :laugh: :laugh:

H2H1

Hey Lee let me say up front I offer my apologies for laughing so hard . But that was so comical me and the DW had a real good laugh after we read your story. But like 730 said your RV troubles should be over and you have clear sailing from now on. And like Scooter said there a book deal somewhere on the experiences of RVing. SO HAPPY TRAVELING IN THE FUTURE. HOPE YOU MAKE IT TO KEN's THIS APRIL

DL Rupper

Hey that's what makes full-timing an adventure. Hope the EXCITEMENT calms down some. We've had a few fun times too, but luckily not all at once on the first trip. It's the unknown that puts the edge in full-time RVing. Hope you got the bugs out now and the challenges coming your way will be minor. Good Luck. :)

utmtman

Well we have got most of them out of the way. But not all. I am going to Dixie RV monday to get the sensor for my tanks replaced if it comes in tomorrow as they said it should. Slideout still leaking. I am in the process of building a dam at the bottom corners of the slideout frame, seems that the water is going in there on both sides, not sure why the rubber does not cover that area. Woke again this morning to the bedroom being soaking wet again.
Having been a traveling man all my life I have run into problems before but not like this. We had a popup tent trailer we bought new some four or five years ago and our first two trips out we blew a tire, first the one on the left side than the right side. After that I changed them from bias ply or whatever they call the non radial tires to Radial tires. And by the way the first tire that blew also took out the rim. Both blow outs were on interstates traveling aroung 60 to 65 mph.

onthecoach

Hi Lee and Fran!!! What a Story!!! We all know you can't make this stuff up!!!! Congrats on your courageous decision to continue on!! We all can agree...the worst is over??? I hope so for your sake...although, I would definitely keep a detailed diary for your new Publisher and the Screenwriters!!! :cool: This makes RobinWilliams movie look like a 'kiddie film"!

My DH is working in Abu Dhabi, UAE for a year....I am sending your story to him....he needs the laugh!!

I certainly hope our paths will cross somewhere down the road....I want to give you both a BIG HUG!!!
:laugh:

utmtman

Thanks Lynn. And that story is not complete yet. When we went back to Dixie rv they said they fixed the slideout leak. First rain after that and it still leaks so I called them and they say they have no record of the work being done. So it still has not been repaired properly but for now being in utah dont have enough rain to worry about it. Also on our last day in Louisiana we did return to Dixie to have a sensor board for all our tanks replaced and enroute a locked lower side box on the rv popped open and I lost three toolboxes with over 1000 dollars worth of tools. If it werent for bad luck I would have no luck at all. I have an appt for the 1st of Apr here in Utah to try and get the leak repaired and a few other bugs out as well. IE our outside stereo has never worked since we bought the rig and they ordered a new stereo two years ago and its now supposedly in, also the piston under our bed broke a year ago and they finally have a new one of those to install. And we have a new problem, after arriving in Utah our house flooded from the ice maker just running continuous water, when we caught it the freezer was full of water and the fridge had a couple if inches in it and our floor, good gosh must have been an inch or more across the entire kitchen to bedroom area. I hope these will be our last repair for a long damn time.