Our "NEW" Home - 42' Overland Lorado Diesel Pusher

Re: Our "NEW" Home - 42' Overland Lorado Diesel Pusher

Man talk about having fun.When I was a tad yonger I really enjoyed what you just described.Sure seems like you got a handle on it and it helps you to know something about the workings.I have a 2010 diesel and when you drop the air hard for a cat to get under it.Keep up the good work and post.Lot like reading a mystery.

keithb

You have become quite the RV mechanic. I wish I had you in N.C. where my travel trailer is located. I would have you help me install a new fridge, heater, and water heater. :laugh: :laugh:

cougarkid

So, over the weekend I got a few more things done.

Saturday:

Added 2 more quarts of Dexton tranny fluid (yep, that's a gallon total) to the leveling jack tank and it is full at last. Jack now work great.

Pulled all the awnings out and I need to replace all the pull straps. Going to have to buy long ones and then loop and sew them to length. The window awning straps hook onto a bracket under the window to hold them out and in place. The awnings themselves are in great shape, thanks to the metal covers.

Opened up all the basement doors and let it breath. Noticed some rust on the frames. Some light rust and some decent spots. Concentrated on the drivers side. Took all the weather stripping off and wire brushed the rusted areas. Coated the entire length along the bottom and around all the doors with rust converter. This will stop the rust and seal it up. Put all the weather stripping back on after it dried. Planning to paint it all later.

Leveled the rv up and fired up the generator. Went in and turned on the a/c's. The rear a/c came on and ran fine, much to my surprise. I am guessing all it needs is a new capacitor. Drug the vacuum out and started cleaning. Sucked up dirt and cob webs. Cleaned out alll the drawers. Opened the couches and cleaned them off. Took all the foil insulation out of the windows. Finished off by vacuuming the entire coach. Looks better.

Sunday:

Hooked the water up to the rv and went to work on the shower. This thing is really dirty from non-use and the original roof leak around the skylight. Sliding shower door are off and outside. Sprayed it with scrubbing bubbles and sprayed the doors down. Rinsed it down and sprayed it again. Scrubbed it a bit and rinsed. Clean. Doors took 3 cleanings to get them done. Hung them back in place.

Checked out the fog lights. Ended up being a rusty wire connector. Now they both work.

Was getting ready to glue the pasenger side convex mirror back on. Went to the drivers side and it should be adjustable. Got a screwdriver and took the mount off. Took it into the garage and it has been glued in place. Main mirror shell is cracked and they broke a swivel piece. Used a small flat screwdriver and the hammer to carefully chip the glue out. Cleaned it up and it will swivel now.

Got the swivel bracket apart and ended up cutting a piece of spring wire, heating it up and melting/pushing it into the broken bracket to make a pivot point. Got the plastic epoxy out the rv, mixed some up and glued the wire in place. Let it set up. Got it all clipped back together and took it to the rv. Screwed it back in place. It will set for the night.

Done for the night.

akjimny

Mike - You should write a "How To" book with pictures of your two project RV's. I'll bet it would sell. :) :)

H2H1

Hell I just wished he was my neighbor. Boy would I pick his mind and work his muscle... :laugh: :laugh: Mike you are so talented, good work and keep us posted.

solovino

Have been following your posts of the 1998 Overland. Looks like a good buy. Body looks to be in great shape. Lots of work but probably will be worthwhile. I have a 1997 41' with a few more miles, rides real nice with the air bag suspension, big improvement over springs. Had to replace rear height adjustment valves due to a low curb encounter in Mexico. When I bought the rig 3 years ago I changed all the lubricating fluids to new synthetic, engine, transmission and rear diff. Also just installed a By Pass Oil Filter kit so the engine oil is triple filtered, using synthetic material filters. The Cummins 8.3 in my rig is a mechanical model, much easier to service yourself since you don't need a scanner to find problems. Equiped with a Jake Exhaust Brake which does work well but sometimes hangs up and drives me to frustration. One thing I've noticed about the Overlands is that it is very difficult to find used parts for them, very rare to see a Overland unit in a salvage yard. Hope you never have to find an original part. Do you have any manuals for the rig, sure would like a copy of the wireing diagram. If ever you might need a question answered you could contact me.

Good luck on your purchase hope you have many miles of trouble free travel.

Ken

cougarkid

Seller gave me all the manuals he had. 3" Ring binder stuffed full. Original Cummins books. A "welcome to your new Overland" sheet. Pamplets on all the appliances.

Will have to look thru for wiring diagram.

Yep, 8.3L diesel. Jake Exhaust Brake. Air ride is sweet. Leveling jacks were a must for us.
Used parts may be an issue, but you fix what you can.

Thare is a "REMCO" plate mounted under the dash with one switch and a red and green light. Is that for a tranny pump for a Toad? It just buzzes when I flip it on.

Triple E

I had the same problem with my exhaust brake. Had to wait until the exhaust got hot before it would work. If I remember right it cost about $500.00 to replace the valve and valve body. Glad I replaced it. I use it a lot on these mountain in the Northwest. I have hardly any wear on my brake pads. :approve:

cougarkid

solovino,

Went out last night and got all the manuals out of the rv. Sat down and went thru them page by page. Learned a lot, but there is no wiring diagram. Closest thing is the inverter manual saying run the wires to the battery.

I was surprised to find that I have a heated water holding tank. Only thing is I am not sure where the switch is. Pamphlet said on the end of the kitchen cabinet, lights up when on - nothing there. Last thing I came up with is an unmarked red rocker switch on the stove hood. 7 switches: test, water pump, water heater, hood light, hood fan, unmarked red, generator. Any thoughts?

Managed to get the convex mirror on the passenger side mirror glued back on. Adjuster is working fine now.

brodavid

good work , keep it up and you will have a very fine RV

Triple E

Mike, my rear bedroom is heated by propane and/or engine heat. I have a switch on the dash that turns on the fan for the heat from engine. I wonder if it is for something like this? I had to take a picture of the switch on the dash and email it to the Mfg. before I knew what it was for. Just a thought.

cougarkid

I have that switch on the dash, also, labeled rear heater fan. 3 speeds. Uses a heater core in a box with a fan, mounted under the corner of the bed. It uses the engine collant (heat) to heat the room.

I'm guessing this red one is for the heated tank. Will have to wait for coled weather to find out.

cougarkid

So,

We spent the weekend cleaning and scrubbing.
Vacuumed and shampooed the carpet from front to rear.
Took all the heat louvers out, vacuumed the junk out of vents and replaced them with new louvers.
Tore the stove apart and scrubbed it inside and out. Shines like a new dime now.
Frig is ready for use.
Got the windshield cover washed and on - what a difference it makes!
Broken wood trim on slide is glued back in place with a few screws for reinforcement.
Got a 40" HDTV for the shelf that get hidden when the slide is in. Fits great!. A few ties back to the wall and it will be set for travel and watching.

We have used the diesel generator for all this work. Running both a/c's along with the vacuum and/or shampoer. It has never stumbled. Great runnig piece of equipment. Check oil and water before every start-up.

BTW:

For all of you expressing your "when I was younger" comments, it's all in your perception of age.
It's not on my Profile, but I am 52 years old. Raised 6 children. Still enjoy fixing things, even these BIG ones.
My sons and I still tear down cars and rebuild them.
I drive a 1969 Mercury Cougar XR7 Convertible - Bought it in boxes 3 years ago and built it.
It just keeps you young.
No worries.

The fun continues!

Mike

Triple E

Wow! You must be related to Nash. :laugh: :laugh:

cougarkid

So,

I got the 2 loose panels bolted back down tight.
Dash a/c is still a mystery - still work to do.

Tried to aim the headlights, but the adjusters are messed up. No visable easy way to remove the headllights. There is only one visable screw and it is, of course, stuck. I think it holds the trim on.

These look to be Ford F-150 style headlights by the shape and configuration. They look just like the ones on my 95 F-350.

Had to stop early and replace the fan clutch and a shock on the Cougar.

Mike

Triple E

Mike, my headlights are wrap in fiber glass. To make a long story short I had to take mine in to a body shop that worked with fiberglass to have new ones installed. Only cost $200 for the labor but well worth it. My headlight are from a Ford Explorer 1995 - 2001. From your picture I believe you might have the same ones.

127-8524 1 EA HEADLAMP ASSY MZ-331-1122-R RH

(F5TZ-13008-A) '95 EXPLORER 1121

127-8525 1 EA HEADLAMP ASSY MZ-331-1122-L LH

(F5TZ-130008-B) '95 EXPLORER 1121

127-8526 1 EA PARK LITE ASSY #MZ-331-1524-R

RH (F67Z-13200-AA) '95 EXPLORE 1121

127-8527 1 EA PARK LITE ASSY #MZ-331-1524-L

LH (F67Z-13201-AA) '95 EXPLORE

cougarkid

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I have a friend in the used parts business.
I also heard I can replace them with glass headlights from a Toyota.
Definately putting on new driving lights - going halogen - that will help.

Mike

Triple E

Mike if you find glass headlights please let me know the part number and maker. My lights were so bad I could not drive at night. I bought new from Ford and WOW what a difference. But I still have the plastic lens. :dead: Would really like to have the glass. :approve:

H2H1

Steve cover them up when NOT in storage and keep it out of the sun as much as possible. I cut card board the size of my head lights and place them between the headlights and the frame or just tape them over the head lights when it is in the yard sitting. I also had a cover that I kept over the entire MH, but it rotted out, but buying another cover for it and that also helps the preserve the lens and the MH.

cougarkid

Kind of funny,

Sat down at dinner with my wife the other night. We were eating and talking about our days.

I looked at her and said,

You do realize, we have gone from the couple driving down the road going "one of these days we'll have one like that" to the couple driving down the road with people looking at use saying "one of these days we'll have one like that".

Life changes without you even realizing it.

Mike