Pack rats (the rodent kind)

debbylafs

We are here in AZ for the winter and are parked outside our daughter's house which is in the desert. Any suggestions for keeping pack rats from invading our RV? We have witnessed the extensive damage they can do! :cool:

C Nash

Re: Pack rats (the rodent kind)

If the little buggers want in there they will find a way :angry: Might try one of those electric gadgets they make claims on but got doubts myself. Plug all hole you can find in the rv but you'll never get all them. Have heard that moth balls scattered underneath helps but think there may be hazards involved doing that. Do know moth balls in the gas will increase HP or did in the golden days but that has nothing to do with rats :laugh: When all else fails catch the buggers in a snap trap and kill them. To heck with taking and releasing somewhere else. :)

Kirk

We spent several months at Boyce-Thompson Arboretum, east of Apache Junction, AZ, where they have a major issue with those critters. What they had use do was to keep lights under the RV at the engine and also under the genset. Other places help as well. What we did was to get a couple of strings of the clear, small Christmas lights and place them around under the motorhome, about 2 feet inside of the drip-line around the RV. I put them on one of the dusk to dawn light sensors so that the came on each evening and off at daylight each day. There were seven couples who wintered there and we had a lot of pack-rat activity in the area yet not one of us had any problems with them around our RVs. I really think that this is a good answer.

And to keep them out of your towd or tow truck, you can put a light under the hood, or just leave the hood up at night.

debbylafs

Thank you! We had discussed Xmas lights, but weren't sure if they would work. We have lived in AZ for 31 yrs. and never had problems because we always had our vehicles in the garage. Now I'll be able to sleep at night instead of listening for the pack rats!!! :)

C Nash

Debra most of the lights I have seen are just laid on the ground right under the rv edge. Never knew this was for keeping the rats away but, you can depend on Kirk to really knows these type things. Thanks for passing that along Kirk.

*scooter*

And here I thought people were just lighting up there campsite for the ambiance.
:blackeye:

Kirk

The lights were laid on the ground under the RV, about at the point where the frame is or a little inside of that. What I did was to plug the lights in with and extension cord from the 15A outlet on our pedestal, but it could be done from the RV's outlet as well.

Put Moth balls in small bowls and place them through out the RV. This will detor them and should keep them out !

H2H1

OK another question about the lights.WOULD THE ROPE LIGHTS WORK JUST AS WELL? OR will you just have to use the regular Christmas Lights.

2old2sit

Mothballs did not work for us in Jackson Hole. Mice, ground squirrels and chipmunks would run over and all around the mothballs.

Last summer in CO, the electronic device worked where nothing else did. However, it says it is almost line-of-sight, so it may not keep them out of the basement. It did keep them out of our MH kitchen area.

Kirk

I didn't notice the question before, but rope lights work just fine as well, but the Christmas lights usually cost less. And moth balls have to put so many out to keep the rats away that your entire RV will smell of them. I'd rather use the lights.

mexymom

Heading to Prescott

Kirk;49929 said:
We spent several months at Boyce-Thompson Arboretum, east of Apache Junction, AZ, where they have a major issue with those critters. What they had use do was to keep lights under the RV at the engine and also under the genset. Other places help as well. What we did was to get a couple of strings of the clear, small Christmas lights and place them around under the motorhome, about 2 feet inside of the drip-line around the RV. I put them on one of the dusk to dawn light sensors so that the came on each evening and off at daylight each day. There were seven couples who wintered there and we had a lot of pack-rat activity in the area yet not one of us had any problems with them around our RVs. I really think that this is a good answer.

And to keep them out of your towd or tow truck, you can put a light under the hood, or just leave the hood up at night.

My first post and don't know why the entry I'm commenting on is also showing up...but here goes. Seems all the posts are very old...we are heading to Prescottt for Nov/Dec work camper job. Will try the lights..that sounds easy...and also the moth balls in all our basements. I think we could do lights under the tow vehicle as well. Will let you know how it goes! thanks to all who sent input

chag67

The "as seen on tv" electronic device worked well for me when I had a rodent problem in my house. I had one upstairs and one downstair near the back door. Once those were installed, all the critters stayed away. We had to get rid of the ki'ds hamster though. I figure it it helped in a house, it should help in an RV. Just my thoughts.

C Nash

i picked up some of those electronic at a flea market and think the mice came to see what they were LOL. Did not work for me but the flea market devices may not be the same. When parked and not in MH I leave the radio and inside light on. Just hope we are not parked long.

H2H1

well I like the rope lights, cost a little more, but give a more lumination at night which give you better visibility at night. MAKE IT EASY TO SEE WHEN DRIVING IN AT NIGHT.LOL

SECOND thought, since you are parked at your daughter home, get them a outside cat, that will work for sure, but they may not be happy about it. We had one here and she would bring up field rats, baby rabbit, and even a squirrel or 2. But she got sick and and had to be put down. Since then I would not allow another cat in the house.

I use the rope lights, works well here while we are parked at home

C Nash

Hollis I have also heard that a snake will not cross the rope lights. Instead of killing the next non poisonos snake I will catch him. I will then make a circle with my rope lights and throw him in the middle and see if he will stay. LOL

Tim&Jen

I agree with Northendbuckeye. Moth balls work very well at keeping rodents out. We use them whenever we store our RV and the one year we didn't, we had visitors.