padre island

elkhartjim

We're in Houston and a thinking of heading to Padre Island...not south Padre. Any suggestions on where to stay? Not really interested in driving 6-8 hours a day either.

TexasClodhopper

Re: padre island

Are thinking of an RV park near the beach (on the island) or just one in the Corpus Christi area? There are several parks along the road that goes from Port Aransas south to the National Seashore. Some of them have walkways across the dunes to the beach. All of them are about the same and about as good as you will find down there.

Are you thinking Aransas Pass or Rockport? I have a brother in law that has a monthly space in an Aransas Pass park. There aren't any amenities (it's a converted runway with all the hookups.) We stayed there for spring break. It's more like a base for fishermen. Nice people to be around. Rockport has several good parks, and a nice little town to look around in. Not much beach area. Same with Aransas Pass.

There's a park in the Palacios area, which is on Matagorda Bay, that I've heard good things about.

Lots of options, Jim.

elkhartjim

Thanks Tex. What about Palacios park name please. Then on to padre...my wife love the beach and sand.

Shadow

Hey Jim, Nice park in Matagorda. Just south of Bay City on hwy 60. Fishing piers and plenty of beach. Cross the swing bridge and it dead ends at the beach. RV Park to the right...

Shadow

The park in Palacios is Serendipity Bay Resort. (800) 556-0534 (361) 972-5454.

TexasClodhopper

That's the one. Thanks, Butch! I'm always thinking Palacios, but it's nearby.

HWY 60 turns into 2031 at Matagorda.

Now, come south on 59 to Wharton and go down to Bay City that way. Don't get smart and go down there on HWY 35. You could go south on 288 to Angleton, but it's a little confusing getting out of there, but it's possible.

You're in Shadow's country now!

SnowbirdInFlight

RE: padre island

Matagorda Bay RV Park is great! The only bad thing about it is that fact that it is several miles from the nearest town of any size. But for quiet nights, great beaches, great campsites, great fishing, and great sunsets - this is the place!

There are a few restaurants within a few miles, but for Wally World or big grocery marts, you'll have quite a drive.

LINK to site

Or here's another great link to find an RV Park in Texas - LINK

Some pictures of our stay!

MatBay02.jpg

BaySpot.jpg

Rig02.jpg

Viewfromouryard.jpg

Gulf02.jpg

Sunset.jpg

Sunset02.jpg

elkhartjim

Got reservations at Pioneer on Mustang Island for Wed and Thursday and then on to buckhorn in Kerville Frid and Sat. Dang it...guesss we're gona have to go home soon....or not.

elkhartjim

Hey shadow...should I just go thru Houston to Angleton and pick up 35 to Matagorda or go 59 to Victoria. Driving in Houston traffic is no big problem...spent 40 years doing it. I'm in The Woodlands and you need to know the Rayford Crossing's RV Park is first rate. Been in the hot tub and/or pool every day since Sat.

Shadow

Jim, I would just catch 288 and take the 35 Bay City exit. When you hit Bay City take 60 south to Matagorda. When you get in town you want to take a left at the blinking caution light. Cross the swing bridge and just head to the ocean. Can't miss it. If you go to far I'll come pull Ya out. If for some reason it's full, go back to town and check out Sea Bird RV Park. Nothing fancy, but it has full hookups. Susan and Gary are good people. Be sure to eat at the Waterfront restaurant. It's in the Harbor and you can watch the boats while you dine.