parking brake

pablo5551

My dad owns an American Heritage RV and is having a problem with both the parking brake. The parking brake is out but it also seems to be causing the RV not to stay in park period.Are these to things related ? Any advice would be appreciated, as he lives in West Texas and has a hard time getting anyone to look at it.

John Harrelson

parking brake

YES... they could be related....
on some trucks and cars the parking brake will release automatically when you move the shift lever from the "Park" position into one of the "Drive" positions. This is a so called safety thing designed to keep you from driving off with the parking brake on and wearing out the brakes and possibly causing the rear brakes to catch fire.

And before someone jumps in here and says that the vehicle won't move with the parking brake on ... I'm here to tell you that you definitely can .... with a lot of vehicles you can drive forward with the parking brake on, although in most cases it is extremely hard to drive in reverse ( backing up)with it on.

I know... been there , done that and had to change my pants right after I saw the smoke coming from the rear tires..

pablo5551

parking brake

Yes---that's how he burned out the parking brake----but why won't the RV stay in park with no parking brake ?

C Nash

parking brake

What year and chassis? I don't think the parking brake will have anything to do with the trans not going in park? Some vehicles will release the brake when taken out of park as John said. Sounds more like an adjustment problem or mabe a parking pawl in the trans. Will it go in park and jump out or not at all?

pablo5551

parking brake

It's a 1997 Holiday Rambler. It has a Chevrolet Chassi
with the ser# 1GBlP37J5V3312592.The brakes work fine, but the parking brake, despite having the bands replaced, won't hold.It will go into park ( the leveling jacks operate fine after doing so )--but won't stay in park as it begins to roll unless something is placed under then wheels.

C Nash

parking brake

Is this the parking brake that mounts on the drive shaft? Sounds like it needs adjusting. You need to go underneath the mh, be sure wheels are chocked well :dead: and take the linkage loose from the trans and see if you can manually put it in park at the trans. If it clicks in park and will still not hold something is wrong internal which could probably be repaired with the pan removed.

pablo5551

parking brake

Yes---it's the type that goes on the drive shaft. I know he tried replacing the bands, but that didn't solve the problem.