Passport

nfrihart

Planing on going to Canada? Better go this summer, after the first of the year everyone will have to have a US Passport to visit Canadan at a cost of anywhere from $120.00 to $150.00 per family member. 5 people in a family = $600.00 to $750.00 oer family. I don't know about you but that kind of money will go quite a ways towards a vacation here in the good old USA. Canada had nothing to do with this it is our goverenment that is doing this to us. I can understand this in some ways as we are trying to make our borders more secure.

TexasClodhopper

Re: Passport

Anyone that has 'tripped' outside of the USA already has a passport. We got ours when we went on a cruise ship to Mexico. It made getting on and off the ship a little easier. Well, now that I remember, I got mine in 1977 for a business trip to the Arab lands. There it is a requirement and always has been.

When we went on an Alaskan cruise, we went through Vancouver BC. On the way back through USA customs, they asked for a passport. I don't believe it was required, though. The lines were shorter in the passport line because they were faster.

So, it isn't really that unusual to show a passport. Typically, the USA lags behind the rest of the world.

Kirk

The cost for a US passport is not $120 or $150. It is actually $67 per applicant. You do need a certified copy of, or your original birth certificate and not the hospital certificate or a certificate of registry, so make sure that you have that first. They also will need a copy of a current driver's license. If they do reject what you sent they will send you a letter to let you know what you need to send and give you 90 days to submit the additional information. You can get the required forms from the Dept. of State, web site and you will also need two color photographs that meet passport requirements. Those will cost about $20 person. I have some experience as I just received my new passport two weeks ago, yesterday.

TexasClodhopper

Yep, it wasn't all that painful for us, either. One of our local post offices had a passport section. They're not everywhere, but they are local enough.

The hardest part was getting Sallyberetta to get her pitcher took! ;) :blackeye:

Kirk

That too is a good point. You should probably call a local post office to see which one does the passport stuff, just to save a trip. We did have to get new birth certificates as mine turned out to be a "notification of birth registry" which worked for enlisting in the Navy and for Social Security, but not for a passport. With the way that things are going, it is probably not a bad idea for everyone to get one, before you actually need it. If I remember correctly, the date of that requirement was postponed, but don't rely on my memory as I have found it not to be trustworthy!

Clodhopper, is that one of your passport photos that you use for an avatar?

DL Rupper

RE: Passport

It's about time the US tightened up the borders. Instead of complaining we ought to be sending praise to Bush for finally getting tough. We are too pampered living here in the good old USA. Rah, rah rah for the US Government for looking out for us. :approve:

TexasClodhopper

"Clodhopper, is that one of your passport photos that you use for an avatar?"

Nah, that was taken when I was just a little hopper!