Performance enhancement advice

dperkinstx

I have a '94 Minnie Winnie Class C motorhome. The Ford 460 has an exhaust leak. I've learned this is a common issue.

I decided to purchase a set of Thorley Tri-Y headers. The research I've done makes me believe I'll get a power gain, but not much for MPG.

What else should I do for power and/or MPG improvements?

krsmitty

Exhaust is a good start. Some high-flow mufflers. Carb or Throttle body? An aftermarket cold air intake. New plugs, wires, tune up etc. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

C Nash

Why more power Slow down and enjoy the ride. MPC drive 55, advoid jack rabbit starts and start your stop early and let the trans do the braking. All the above are good but with a carb you will need to monitor plugs to see if burning to rich or lean. Changing from factory specs can alter things that damage engines. Not against changing but just need to be careful.

dperkinstx

C Nash;n126304 said:
Why more power Slow down and enjoy the ride. MPC drive 55, advoid jack rabbit starts and start your stop early and let the trans do the braking. All the above are good but with a carb you will need to monitor plugs to see if burning to rich or lean. Changing from factory specs can alter things that damage engines. Not against changing but just need to be careful./QUOTE]

I'm more interested in better fuel economy than horsepower increase.

My Minnie Winnie has a fuel injected Ford 460

H2H1

I hate to be an old sour pus here, but when you own a Class A, B or C or any pull type, fuel economy is out the window. I can under stand getting what we can out of them, but to me it's a money pit. SAVE THE MONEY AND GO CAMPING MORE

C Nash

Very few performance adds will actually pay for them in MPG IMO. Driving habits will affect MPG more than anything. I like high performance but always left this for race car. I have the V10 ford in our HR MH and have added nothing. If I had an exhaust manifold problem I would go wit a good set of headers. Never been in a hurry to get anywhere and love the sights getting there, but we are retired.

mass59k

Fully agree with the others. ..get the headers fixed...other money invested usually doesn't pay off..enjoy the camping and remember to stop and smell the flowers

LEN

As others have said your pulling a brick down the road. Mileage is a dirty word. If you close to 8 MPG take it and run. With C's and A's if you get more great but most get around the 8 MPG mark. Some claim more but I question their math. Diesel is a different story I have seen a few in or near 12 MPG with the smaller motors and a few at the 10 MPG with medium sized motors and coaches and then to 7 MPG in the larger Coach's. With all this said a happy spot seems to be in the 60 MPH range in most all MH's 5ver's and C's.

LEN