Petroleum products.

drummerman

Say Chelse.

I know you have a great deal of expertise in auto mechanics, so if you wouldn't mind I would like to ask you a question about an oil additive called "Prolong."

I'm sure you've see the tv commercial about Prolong. Its supposed to interact with metal surfaces through an advanced chemical process (polarization) to form a protective molecular bond on the surface on metal parts.
I know that the technologies in petroleum products had improved greatly (synthetic oils and such), does Prolong really create a polarized bond on internal engine parts, and reduce wear?

Thanks
Drummerman

C Nash

Petroleum products.

Drummerman, don't know about the expertise stuff, just been around a long time and have opinions. I personally have not had any experence with prolong but have torn down engines that had run that other brand can't remember the name and you could see it on the piston walls. It probably has a graphite base. I really don't believe in additives for the newer engines. Most all our modern day oils have the needed additives. keep the oil and filters changed and they will run forever well, 200000 anyway and we are talking gas engine. I have used the Lucas products in my race car and it picked up my time from 7. 29 to 7.09 so I assume it does away with some friction. remember this is JMO so, maybe others will give theirs.

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

thumbs

Petroleum products.

I agree with Chelse. Of course he has more exp than I in this matter but I have found over the years that the best thing you can do for your engine is keep clean oil in er. Changein the oil and filter is the one of the most important things you can do. Clean oil is happy oil. ;-} Oil is cheaper than bearings. I am to understand some of the manufacturers are tellin people today they can go 10K without changin the oil. That is nothin but BS. Oil doesn't wear out it gets contaminated. There is no such thing as pistons that don't have blow by. Contaminated oil leads to major problems. I over do in oil changes but they I expect to get better than 200K with gas engines.

JMHBAO
Gary

Gary

Souderton, Pa

Butch

Petroleum products.

There is a product on the market and I can't remember the correct name for it at the moment, tho I do have it in my notes and will try to find it. At any rate "This stuff" was originally brought about by Andy Granatelli(sp?) Indy 500 engine builder extraordinaire, and this stuff was called speedway cocktail back then. This was a formula he kept in his head. Another fella obrained this formula and went commercial with it specifically for small aircraft engines. Most notably opposed helicopter engines which exibited a very high rate of cylinder wear and valve & valve guide problems. This "stuff" actually leached into the metal and made it almost like "oilite bronze", I have seen this. It almost tripled the service time on these helicopter engine cylinders. This "stuff" went on to gain FAA approval, which is amazing in itself. This "stuff" is now marketed not only for aircraft but also for the automotive industry. I'll come up with the correct name and post it here, this old age and CRS "stuff" is for the birds. I have never been a believer in additives, Tho I have used this in my aircraft and it definetly do make a difference. My engine idle rose 150 RPM after installing this "stuff" and one local flight, no other parameter was changed. JM2CW - Happy Motoring, Butch @ Nancy Lake, Alaska

mstrtech1

Petroleum products.

Hello all,I'm new to this forum as we just picked up an 87 Mallard 27' so we'll be joinin the ranks of happy campers :). I figured the best way to get info was to (surf the net)so I came upon this site.So far I'm not dissapointed in what I've been reading. Good place to get educated.As a 30 yr vet in the auto industry I've seen just about all you can. As most of you agree,oil change freqency is the best.The cleaner the better.I've never been a strong believer in additives unless you had a problem and nothing to lose. Keep it clean,and more important keep it cool-er and you'll minimize your troubles. At least the ones in your control.well thats my 2 cents for now,love this site and hope to be on the road in the nexts few weeks.Safe Journeys Steve

Butch

Petroleum products.

"LINKITE AVBLEND" is the name of the "stuff" I was searching for. Is an engine oil additive That I believe actually works and does what it says it will. I have seen this product actually leach into surrounding metal, in my own engines. Wether you believe this or not is your choice. Wether you use it or not is your choice. As additives go, It is not cheap. You can click the following link for more info on the product. http://www.eaa49.av.org/techart/huff02.htm Happy Motoring, Butch @ Nancy Lake, Alaska

drummerman

Petroleum products.

Butch.

That link has some interesting reading. But I didn't see anything about how it adheres to the engines metal surfaces.
Prolong boasts that their additive bonds to the metal by a process of polarization. This is a concept I can understand since I have a background in electronics.
As I indicate in my post, there has been advances in petroleum products, engine design, electronics ect and so its not inconceivable that SOME not all additives may protect engine parts as boasted.
I would think, (and I may be wrong) that if an additive like "Prolong" does work, putting it in a new engine would be better than waiting until engine that has started showing signs of wear and tear.

I have thought of trying Prolong, but hate to drop the 20 bucks for the first treatment, then $15 more at each oil change.
That is why I posted this question. I feel people with a good deal of auto-mechanical knowledge would post their opinions, and I would decide if I would try it or not based on those replies.

I haven't seen your product in any of the auto parts stores. Do you know who would carry it?

Thanks
Drummerman

By the way, I appreciate all who have responded to my post. Knowledge is power.

Drummerman

2001 Chev Silverado 2500HD 8.1L
2002 30 ft Wildcat 5th wheel

Butch

Petroleum products.

Drummerman,

The linkite does not bond to the metal as any oil would adhere to the surface. The Linkite actually "weeps" into the metal.(Or Soaks in.) In effect, making your steel/iron parts lube like and oilite bushing.(or an oil impregnated bushing) I have no experience whatsoever with "Prolong", tho I have seen the adds.

I just checked on line and seems as though there have been some major changes since I last bought a supply of the additive, the automotive stuff is now called zmax. My apologies for leading you astray. Click on the following link. Happy Motoring, Butch - Nancy Lake, Alaska
http://centraleautos.com/performance/brandzmax.htm