Please Need Help with insurance

I have called my home owners insurance and it's through the roof!

I got a quote from Explorer RV, has anyone heard of them? The rates are only $380.00 for the entire year and that includes full replacement for 5 years.

Any thoughts or recommendations of who I should speak to?

utmtman

Re: Please Need Help with insurance

Explorer RV is part of National RV and they are a great company. There are a half a dozen rv companies listing for rvers and most all are with National. Just cannot go direct to National. I am with allstate right now and want to change over only thing stoping me is the initial cost. They told us we only make six payments a year with explorer. But the initial payment is rather high.

krautdog

RE: Please Need Help with insurance

I would check with Geico, My vehicles are insured through Progressive and they quoted me $240.00 per year to coveer my 25' Mallard TT. I called Geico and they offered the same coverage for only $94.00 for the entire year.

H2H1

Well I got mine covered by GMAC thru Good SAM'S, PLUS the VIP road side hazard Ins. COST $850 per six months that includes my SHHH Ford Lincoln. Ya'll don't tell anybody that I own Ford product :( :( :bleh:

PattieAM

I have a pop up, and it's on my Allstate Auto policy, and the rates aren't too high. I did increase my deductibles recently on both the HO and Auto policies so as to decrease the premiums. Am currently doing cost comparisons, and have submitted for a quote through AARP, but have not yet received a response. Several years ago, I solicited for a quote through GMAC (GoodSam) and wasn't thrilled with the premiums, but I do believe they had some errors and I never bothered to follow up.

I have GoodSam ERS as AAAPlusRV was more expensive.

H2H1

OK Jim that wasn't to get out, but I am looking for a Toyota PU and getting rid of the Lincoln.

DARLING

WE have National ins & they have a program to insure our car(a lot cheaper that State Farm) as long as we keep our rv policy in effect. They are almost half of what we were paying before. Only 925. for our toyota truck & 865 for our kia per year.

Hollis
Toyota trucks are tough. We have USED it well. We do not abuse it but just as a truck was supposed to be used before it became the IT thing to have.
Darlin :cool:

H2H1

yeah, I understand that Darling, those trucks have gone thru roof as cost is concern. :( :laugh: . My brother and my son-n-law has one and they swear by them. :laugh: :laugh:

DL Rupper

Well I'm about to find out how good Progressive Direct is. I'm in Georgia and in the middle of a thunderstorm/tornado warning, I got hit with golf ball to tennis ball sized hail. Never seen anything like it and hope to never see it again. I called Progressive 15 minutes after being hit and they assigned a claim # and said someone would be out to the RV park Monday by 12 noon. Poor, poor Dodge Ram. Really got hammered. The good news is the tornado didn't hit us and the HitchHiker II seems to be OK. Just another exciting episode in the life of a full-timer. ;) :eek:

elkhartjim

Glad you're okay DL. Let me me know if you need any help with Progressive. In the Body shop business we refer to them as Regressive. Don't allow them to do much PDR (paintless dent repair).

Shunpiker

DL,

Not to hijack, but had progressive in the past for a 5k claim after a limb fell on the roof. They were great. Claim adjuster was out the next day, same day approval on claim and options where I could take the MH.

Switched over to Explorer (National), cost on toad was half of progressive, and a one year policy with same expire dates as MH. MH was about the same as progressive.

I have not had a claim with Explorer, just wish they would join the newest tech century and set-up online payment option. Have to call when policy is due. They are professional and seem to be nice folks.

Have not read any negatives on Explorer(National).

DL Rupper

Hey Jim, just looking at the top of the cab, I don't see how they can repair it without paintless dent repair. Isn't that where they just pop the dents out. The hood could be replaced. I have at least 50 + dents. The diesel is a 2003, they wouldn't try to total it, would they?

utmtman

DL let us know it they do take care of it. I have heard from a few others that progressives does not help fulltimers. Shunpiker, explorer is a good company and the rv insurance you get from them and from RV insurance professionals and so are is all under national interstate insurance. They have been doing truckers insurance for a long time. If you want to see the companies like explorer that sell there insurance go here. http://www.nationalinterstate.com/products/spl/rv/default.asp I am changing over to them like I said as soon and I can afford to pay the 400+ down. They told us you pay that and four more smaller payments to cover it.

elkhartjim

DL, You say 50+ dents...is that on the roof alone? They can pay to replace the roof. The problem I have with PDR is if the dents are very big the paint has been stressed (stretched if you will) and paint doesn't stretch very well without cracking. Albeit hairline cracks, over time they will or can get bigger. I used to keep a hood in my shop that had been PDR'ed and it had cracked each place a dent had been. Of course they want to PDR because its about 30% of the cost to repair/replace. Do not let them replace the hood with after market hood...it will never align properly.

DL Rupper

Thanks Jim, I'm going to take it back to Ohio for repair. Hopefully I can get a Dodge body shop to work on it. I had an accident just after I bought it and Voss in Centerville Ohio really did a good job on it. Couldn't ever tell it was in an accident. However, I had Good Sam VIP (GMAC) insurance at the time and they let me take it where I wanted. I will know more Mon if the Progressive agent shows up on time. The guy on the telephone last night told me I could transfer to Ohio after the on sight guy comes.

I can see where the paint cracked or chipped from some of the dents.

elkhartjim

"However, I had Good Sam VIP (GMAC) insurance at the time and they let me take it where I wanted." It is illegal for a insurance company to tell you where to take your vehicle. In the industry its called steering. The state of Texas brought suit against Allstate for opening their own body shops (Sterling) and then telling claimants it was the only place approved by Allstate. Several million dollar fine later, Allstate no longer "steers" to their own shop.