please...recommend tranny shop

94burban

Please help….

The victim is a 94 Chevy Suburban, with 160,700 miles, 350 tbi, 4l60e and completely stock. Just picked it up about 2 months ago and surprise the tranny is gone. Since I plan on towing about 7000#, (a couple times per year) I was looking for a tranny that will hold up. Could you guys recommend an online store? I found Pro-Built Automatics online but don’t know much about them.

I’ve never rebuilt a tranny before, but is it really difficult? I’ve rebuilt to small blocks in the past but was thinking that with both ATSG rebuild book and technical dvd, I’ll be able to rebuild it myself.

Or for you local guys, could you recommend a good transmission shop in south Florida, I prefer Dade or Broward County but willing to go to Palm Beach county if I have to.

So far I’ve been to 3 shops and I’m not impressed. 2 of them are asking $1000, the 3rd on wouldn’t even tell me. I asked for a price on a complete rebuild and he tells me…he has to look at it first.

Thanks

C Nash

Re: please...recommend tranny shop

Transmissions overhaul is generally best if a pro performes the work. Sometimes the honest guy is the one that tells you he can't give a price until he tears it down to see what damage it has. He should be able to give a ballpark price. Ask around local for people that have had transmissions repaired and can recommend a shop. Jasper engines sell very good rebuilt transmissions in this area. Son has a shop and he has installed quite a few and never had any problems with them. You could install yourself. Very easy job for this vehicle if you have the place and a jack to lift the transmission with.