Power issue

try2findus

Hello all! Haven't been on here in awhile but need some help from all of you brainiacs.

After returning home from our trip out west we are suddenly experiencing issues with power. We used the generator a couple of nights dry-camping while out. When we got home, we have a couple of friends that live in NOLA who were working in BR so we offered our RV for them to stay for the 2 days.

We started the onan rv QG 4000 and it ran overnight. The next day, it suddenly cut off and throws a code of 12 which indicates "over voltage fault". We plug in to shore power and everything works perfectly. Randy and I are thinking possibly transfer switch??

Any ideas...

Thanks and hope everyone is well!

JR

Grandview Trailer Sa

JR,
I got this off the Internet:

INVERTER OVER VOLTAGE FAULT—CODE NO. 12 (Controller not able to regulate to rated voltage) Corrective Action: Check whether the vehicle engine and genset share the same starting battery. If so, and this fault occurs when cranking the vehicle engine, low battery voltage may be causing this shutdown. Increase battery capacity or install a separate battery and battery charging system for the genset.

Hope it helps!

try2findus

Thanks Ken! There's a separate battery for the generator and the engine cranks normally. Funny thing is, the generator has the same hours on it as the first one did when it went kaput. But, the generator does start, but when it goes to power up the coach, it kills...

Guess it's off to Dixie RV for extended warranty work...

LEN

I would guess the control board is the problem, there is a time when running the gen warms a bit then starts to do it's think at this point it is causing a problem and shuts down. Problem being only way to tell is have a pro look at the Gen.

LEN

H2H1

so sorry you are having this problem with the genset again. But glad you did not have problems when you and Randy was out west

elkhartjim

I had a similar problem caused by a corroded battery cable. I cleaned all the cables and haven't had the problem since.

Good luck.

try2findus

Thanks everyone :eek:. The generator will start and run but only until it goes to transfer power to the coach, then kills...Waiting on Dixie RV to schedule the work. :indecisiveness:

elkhartjim

try2findus;83807 said:
Thanks everyone :eek:. The generator will start and run but only until it goes to transfer power to the coach, then kills...Waiting on Dixie RV to schedule the work. :indecisiveness:

Yep. Exactly what mine did. I cleaned the terminals (which would cause low voltage and give the fault code number 12) and I haven't had a similar problem in three years.