problem w/ rear door

gator159

need to know a way to load a harley flh onto a 2001 29ft toy hauler that sits 3-4 ft
from the ground and the back door ramp is too steep to load.
:(

H2H1

Re: problem w/ rear door

HELLO THOM AND WELCOME . I suggest you build an extra set of ramp longer that what you have. I would get 2-2 x 10 by the length you will need and make sure it's treated wood. I would connect them side by side, this will give you about 19" of ramp width to ride up on. I had to do the same except for my golf cart the ramp was short and the cart would catch the trailer as it was going over the thresh mold of the trailer. I hope this helps you out as I know others will have suggestion as well. As always enjoy your rv'ing time

DL Rupper

Hey gator159, welcome to the forum. If you want some excitement you can always ride it in and hit the brakes. :laugh: :laugh: Can you put some 8 to 10 inch blocks under the front jacks and extend the jacks all the way up, lifting the front end of the 5er up and at the same time lowering the rear end. That may lower your rear end enough to get the Harley on board.

s.harrington

A friend of mine who is now in a wheel chair bought a toy hauler that was extra high as well. He built a special rack to hold the door off the ground about 10-12 inches and puts another ramp on the end of the door ramp so that his wheel chair can manage the incline. You may want to see if that would work for you.

TexasClodhopper

I'm tending to agree with Steve, but stability will have to be a key factor. Adding a second hinged door/ramp (hinging at the 'top' of the current door/ramp) that folds against the current door/ramp when closed sounds doable, but hauling around a "special rack" to hold it up off the ground might be a little awkward.

It sounds like a neat engineering project to build a bifold door/ramp with built in "racks" that drop down as the door folds out.

s.harrington - 2/25/2008 11:24 PM A friend of mine who is now in a wheel chair bought a toy hauler that was extra high as well. He built a special rack to hold the door off the ground about 10-12 inches and puts another ramp on the end of the door ramp so that his wheel chair can manage the incline. You may want to see if that would work for you.

utmtman

You can also buy the portable atv ramp it folds up together and is longern (7ft) than usual ramps and I paid 200 for mine a couple of years ago. The ramp that came with my atv trailer was too steep for me to safely drive the smaller atv up onto the trailer. The portable ramp was longer and perfect for that problem.

utmtman

Yep I know that Tex and that ramp is still good for that too. The ramp is wide on each leg so should make it easy. He could also pull one side of it off since it was bolted together in the middle to hold the two sides together. Than he could store the other half in case something should happen to the one half of the ramp.