problem with lp tank

jkill2001

well i got my first rv yesterday and i went to make sure that the lp was working and i unplugged the rv from the house and later to find out that the lp isn't running into the rv. what could be causing this. the guage is saying full and i know the dealer filled it before i got it. i also noticed there is a guage on the lp tank but there is a piece dangling that has 2 wires looks like a sensor that isn't hooked up to the tank and it looks to go to that guage. anyone have any idea or suggestions?

jkill2001

problem with lp tank

well the best part about that is that i now work at that dealer so i will be asking them tomorrow and make sure they fix it. do u think it is that thing dangling stopping the gas flow? could it be the regulator? or could the sensor be so wrong that the tank is in fact empty?

turnipbwc

problem with lp tank

Not sure what that could be. Are you sure there is not a second valve to turn the propane on ? I know when I first got my RV and I turned on the propane tank the gas came out around the handle. I asked about that everywhere I could (even propane dealers) and got no answers. The only thing I could come up with is that the tank had not been used for a year before I bought it and seals were dryed out. I have used it many times since and it never happened again. Good Luck.
Ray

jkill2001

problem with lp tank

as far as i know that is the only valve but i'll check the owner's and service manual tomorrow. just to be on the safe side i turned that one valve off before but i'll still ask at the dealer tomorrow

sp

problem with lp tank

Without seeing it and by what you described, I would say it is the safety valve. You can trace the wires back to the sensor to find out for sure. When the sensor "sniffs" propane over the set point then it sends a signal to the valve to shut off. It probably defaults to the closed position when not hooked up.

Take it to the dealer, you don't want to mess with propane.

Is this a new rv or a used one? What year?

sp

"007"

problem with lp tank

quote:Originally posted by jkill2001

well i got my first rv yesterday and i went to make sure that the lp was working and i unplugged the rv from the house and later to find out that the lp isn't running into the rv. what could be causing this. the guage is saying full and i know the dealer filled it before i got it. i also noticed there is a guage on the lp tank but there is a piece dangling that has 2 wires looks like a sensor that isn't hooked up to the tank and it looks to go to that guage. anyone have any idea or suggestions?
You did not say what the motorhome is but as the previous thread said the wires are for the LP gas detector inside your RV. when gas is detected inside, your detector will operate a shut off valve on your LP tank. There is a 1 amp fuse for the operation of your LP detector, mine was located up in front, in a bundle of wires on right hand side of firewall.The fuse was missing on my coach when I picked it up, small detail over looked, but a very important detail. KS-3740. Make sure you have a tech. that knows LP systems,check it out.---"007"

jkill2001

problem with lp tank

well i am bringing it to the dealer tomorrow and btw the motorhome is a 1996 32' fleetwood bounder.

C Nash

problem with lp tank

jkill2001, not stupid. The stupid one is the ones that don't get them checked and now their home is 6 ft under. When in doubt find out

jkill2001

problem with lp tank

yea i guess. they also ordered me a new part for the lp tank that shows the level on the outside as well as shows it on my control panel inside. cause right now the tank i know is bone empty and it still shows full. but in about 1 week it will be fixed

sp

problem with lp tank

like Chelse said, don't feel stupid. It is all about awareness. I never thought much of the lp leaking thing until this last Sept when two guys were hurt when something in their lp system exploded. One guy was sent via helicopter to a burn unit in Boston from NH. When speaking with the fire marshall afterwards he said to have all the lp lines checked yearly because of the vibration factor. I checked mine and found three small leaks. I fixed them and added an lp detector just in case.

Good Luck with the new rig. I'm sure you'll have a few thousand questions just like everyone else.

sp