Problem with towing issues

emoryallen

We are looking into buying a new class A RV. One of the problems we encountered while researching this decision was that neither of our cars can be towed as a dinghy. We can pull the smaller vehicle on a flat bed trailer and stay within the GCWR of most of the RV's we've been looking at, but I have been told by one person that this is a bad idea. He suggested trading in one of our cars for a dingy car, but that is not an option right now for us.

My question is: Has anyone had any experience towing a car on a flatbed trailer? Are there any problems with this?

Thanks.

DL Rupper

Re: Problem with towing issues

The biggest problem is findindg a site at the RV park that is long enough to take the Motorhome/flatbed trailer/car. :(
Most sites are barely long enough for the car and RV.

G

I agree with DL ,, but what type of class A are u buying??
most class A's will pull more then enough...
I have a 40ft diesel pusher and i toad a 4,000 lb Durango behind it,,
I have a brake buddie system on it (required by law) and have not had a prob yet ,, bty when i pull into a camp sight i usally unhook the toad first ,, but i usually stay at one certain place ,, and there in enough room to park the toad beside the rv,, but please keep us posted...
welcome to the forum ,,, DL ,, knows his stuff ,, so what he says is pretty close to right.....
Just ask him about how good Cummins diesel smoke smells :laugh: :laugh:
(it's kinda a joke around here with him ,, if u know what i mean :) )

emoryallen

We're looking at a few. Looking at a Tiffin Allegro Bay with the heavy carry rating (35 TSB). Also looking at a Winnebago Voyage. I was looking a Fleetwoods too. We have a 5800 pound Denali XL and a 4500 pound Pacifica. I can see the problem with the RV site. This combo would be between 46 and 50 feet long. I suppose I could unhitch and park nearby. We don't think we'll use a diesel enough to make it worth the price. Most of the trailers have axle brakes on them.

Also. What weight should I put on the RV consumer group guide? I have been told that certain RV's are great by owners or former owners, yet the guide has rated some of those rigs prettey low it seems. Are their ratings a bit low?

G

I myself have a Tiffin ,, i have an Alegro Bus 40ft DP ,, as for the consumer guides ,, i can not reply on this ,, all i know is that my rv and a few of my customer's rv's have had no problem with towing a vehicle ,, be it a toad or on a trailer,, it is kinda like IMO ,, towing a u-haul trailer with u'r truck when u move,, but this is my OP,, if u over load it ,, do u really feel the difference???
I would IMO pull what u got ,, and i'm sure the class A will handle it ,, but on a note besure to ck and see what the receiver hitch rating is at ,, on some class A's they put a below spec hitch on them... :)
I have 2 customers with gas units that pull Hummers and also a small trailer behind that ,, their rigs are about 28 to 30 ft long class a,, bty they have never come to me needing a weld job on the hitch,, but then again u decide for u'r self,, if u do not feel comfortable pulling what u got ,, then don't ,, i mean no offence here ,, but i'ts MH and u do what feels comfortable for u :approve: :) ;)

hertig

Have you checked to see if the 'tow pump' people can get one of your cars towable? The name of the company is something like 'Remco', I think.

DL Rupper

The option of parking nearby is not a good option. Most RV parks are very tight on parking spaces. If you re-analyze your total length requirement, you will find it closer to 60/75 ft. 30/35 ft RV , 15 ft flatbed trailer and 15 ft car when unloaded off the trailer. Total requred parking space is 65/75 ft. Check out John's option of modifying your car to be towed. There are some parks that will have the required parking space, but it somewhat limits where you can go.

*scooter*

We have a 32 ft Southwind (8.1 v8, gas) and we pull around a Jeep Liberty. Now the Jeep isn't that long, but weighs close to 4000 lbs. Additionally, we have a 22' Cobalt we take out. They both tow just fine and are within the hitch and weight limits. But I have seen all types of dingys from 1/2 tn p/u to full size autos, so there has to be some after market equipment out there. When we tow the jeep, we check ahead for rv site size and just unhook outside the rv park. Makes it a whole lot easier to get around to your sight. Usually there is enough room to park a vehicle in front or on the side of the rv. Another thought might be a tow dolly.
R.

whitey

RE: Problem with towing issues

Hi Emoryallen:

I have a 35ft Allegro and i towed a 07 Toyota on all four down with a brake bubbly on the Toyota and i have just went across old rocky top in NC, and Tn. on Hy 28 and i didn't have any problem with pulling it. My MH has the 8.1 Vortec engine and if you ever been thur their you will know what i am talking about :) :)

Whitey

emoryallen

Thanks for all the great advice. I am going to call the folks at Remco, Blue Ox, and another place that I can't recall the name of right now - but I have the website. I'll askthem if they have a solution for me. Funny. I had a jeep grnad cherokee a couple years back and that would have been a perfect toad. Now with AWD I am finding all types of obstacles. I am sure that I will find a solution short of buying another vehicle. :)

jc2

If you in fact have an AWD vehicle, I believe your only option will be to by the appropriate length flatbed trailer with electric brakes. When we first got our rig, one of our vehicles was an AWD small SUV(05 Hyundai Tucson). I didn't go with the FB trlr because with the SUV wt(3800#) and the 18ft trlr(1800#) it would have put me over my gross tow weight of 5000# by 600#. I ended up finding a nicely priced 04 Chev Cavalier 5spd and went the tow bar route.

*scooter*

Didn't know that the vehicle was AWD. We had a GMC van (AWD) and were told it could only be towed on a trailer otherwise lots of damage. Good luck.

Kirk

As you shop for an RV, be very careful of the GCWR or gross combined weight rating. That is the maximum weight that your RV and anything it tows can safely be. Remember that when you look at RVs you also need to shop weight ratings.

emoryallen

Yes. I have been looking very carefully at GCWR. Most of the gas RV's are rated at 26,000lbs. I have been told that the rating reflects the desire of RV manufacturers to stay within limits set by many state DMV requirements for licensing. I'm sure that it has also to do with brake systems and limits. It seems that the chasis of most Class A should carry more weight. I know that the Winnebago Voyage and the Tiffin Allegro Bay have GCWR of 30,000lbs which would cover my needs well.

Still looking around. Hope to purchase by spring.

brodavid

OK I will bite, WHAT is it about D L and cummins deisel smoke smells.

take care
brodavid, with (the boss) and (the asst Boss)

G

He loves the smell of Cummins diesel smoke,,, he can't think straight if he is not smelling the smoke ,,, bty we joke with him about putting in variuos chemicals to make it smell that way,,, it's just a joke around here ,,, but next time he post's ,, be sure to ask DL what the diesel smoke smells like today :laugh: