Problems for a newbie!

buckbs

I have a brand new fifth wheeler with a brand new truck, and thought that I had scouted out, read, and planned for anything that could happen on our first "shake down" trip.

Guess what? The smallest thing that one could imagine made our trip miserable ...... ants! It's a new rig, and we had all food in containers, so nothing attracted them. They just decided to go along with us for the ride!

What do you experienced people do to prevent this? Spray inside or outside with a long lasting insect killer? And what do you use, and where do you put it?

I trying to learn to be a "pro", but those "little things" keep crawling into your perfect plans.

C Nash

Problems for a newbie!

Hi buckbs, if you have ants you are already a pro!! Think there must be a group out there somewhere that's against us campers and they are dumping the little buggers in our campers. Had them the frist time we used our new MH. I told the grand kids to see who could kill the most and it worked pretty good. Waiting to see some of the answers myself.

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Tntrvlr43

Problems for a newbie!

Believe me, your problem is not new. Seems to be a bigger problem with units sold off of a dealers lot. Guess kiddies and others going through units with candy, soda, etc., leave items which attract the little fellers. If you have home pest control talk with your service person, asked mine and he sprays my fiver every time he sprays the house if we are there for no extra charge. Dont know if this is company policy or just a nice service person but does make you feel good to get something for nothing. Otherwise if you spray yourself dont forget storage compartments underneath. Almost certainly a few openings around pipes and wiring they can enter through. Happy trails

John & Betty
00 Alumascape 5er 34'
99 Ford F350 7.3 pwrstrk

FogNobber

Problems for a newbie!

I've had good luck with a product called "Terro" I believe, got it at the local Agway Farm and Home store. It's a small bottle of clear liquid you leave on pieces of cardboard where the ants are, they take it back to their nest and withn several days they're gone. the problem is that you need to ignore the trail of ants around the pieces of cardboard. I believe others use a borax type powder around their tires and jacks, etc. Now wait till the mice move in, caught 19 last year in my fiver....

'98 Kountry Star 5th wheel
'99 F350 Lariat PSD dually

jen

Problems for a newbie!

quote:
I've had good luck with a product called "Terro" I believe, got it at the local Agway Farm and Home store. It's a small bottle of clear liquid you leave on pieces of cardboard where the ants are, they take it back to their nest and withn several days they're gone. the problem is that you need to ignore the trail of ants around the pieces of cardboard. I believe others use a borax type powder around their tires and jacks, etc. Now wait till the mice move in, caught 19 last year in my fiver....

jen

Problems for a newbie!

quote:

jen

Problems for a newbie!

Let's try this again!
I stored my 28ft Class C over the winter (and under cover) for close to 11 months. Picked it up about a week ago and could smell that something was wrong.
The mice have gone for the summer no doubt the urine smell lingers on.

Q1 How dio I prevent this in future?

Q2 How do I get rid of the smell. I should say that using Lysol based products we are making a pretty good stab at it. But some areas are tough to get to. Any ideas?

buckbs

Problems for a newbie!

Hi again,

Thanks for the ideas on taking care of the insect problem. I have sprayed the interior walls and the lower storage with Bengal insect spray. After reading the responses, I had no idea that I might get rodent problems also.

When I bought the RV, I knew that I would not have to fight the battle of the yard and weeds, but never thought that I would have to fight the insects and rodents. I might consider Decon, but I do not want rodents dying in the vehicle and causing smell problems later.

What do all of you pros do?

Buckbs
2002 Kountry Star 35LKSA
2002 F-350 turbodiesel dualie