problems w/duramax allison tranny

firex9

dear allison man,last night while driving home i hit some railroad tracks and the tranny jumped out of gear,i let up on the throttle and it went back to normal.it did the same thing again and again.i parked the truck and the next time out i felt the tranny slipping again i stopped and started again and the truck went fine untill i hit another bump and it jumped out of gear.My mechanic says he got a ton of trouble codes and is working through them,but they will not clear.Do you know whats going on and if so can you point me in the right direction.the truck is a 2002 duramax disel with 75000 miles on it. help help help help

i need your help

firex9

DL Rupper

I don't have any advice to what caused your problem, but have advice for individuals thinking of buying a diesel pickup. If you are young enough to manually shift gears, buy the new 6 speed manual tranmission. I have read and heard all kinds of horror stories of RV'ers towing with auto trannies and having nothing but trouble with them. On the other hand, having owned 2 Dodge Cummins diesels with manual transmissions and having absolutly no problems, I recommend shifting the gears yourself. Be sure to use the low/grandma gear, while towing, with each and every stop/start. Otherwise you invite cluch problems.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I expect your mechanic will find what is wrong and get you back on the road soon. Would like to know what he finds. I own 2 Duramax/Allisons. So far real happy.