Procedures after winter storage

JGS

I would very much appreciate if someone could tell me what I have to do to start using my 5th wheel trailer's plumbing after having it winterized. I have a Cardinal and there are a few spots where the water can be completely drained for the winter and then I have a by-pass for the hot water tank. I have never owned this kind of a unit before so haven't the foggiest idea of what I need to do before I start using the water. For that matter, I am not sure what gets done to winterize the unit other than to drain all of the systems and then I think you somehow feed the pink winterizing stuff into the lines, somehow by-passing the hot water tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joyce

rjf7g

Re: Procedures after winter storage

Your drains are probably closed and your hot water heater is probably by-passed. Hook up to city water and run water through each faucet (hot and cold) and hose (including outdoor and indoor showers) to get rid of all of the pink stuff. If you find water pouring out on to the ground, one of your drains is open! Once you are sure there is no more pink stuff in your system, go to your hot water heater and look for the by pass switches. I have 2 or 3 on mine and just have to turn them a quarter turn (90 degrees) and I am good to go.

Ken at Grandview Trailer Sales will chime in with expert advice on any kind of trailer if you have other questions...

JGS

Thank you Becky. It really isn't very complicated but it's worrisome when you don't know what you are doing.

G

do as becky says ,, and also ,, i know this my sound strange to u ,, but is the pink stuff also in the water tank ,, now normally u don't need it in there ,, but some people put it in ,, but to be on the safe side ,,, fill u'r water tank about 3/4 full ,, and run the pump ,, and do as before ,, open all the faucets and such ,, and see if u see any foaming or pink stuff ,, then drain the water tank ,, and refil and drain agian ,, then fill it up ,, add about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bleach ,, let it set for about 30 mins or so ,, then run the faucets agian ,, untill u smell bleach ,, drain tank agian ,, and fill with fresh water ,, and go thru the faucet thingy agian ,, and drining the tank ,, then IMO u should be good to go ,, and as Becky said ,, i'm sure Ken from Granview will have some to add to this ;) :approve: :approve: :)

DL Rupper

Hey Rod,
If you don't put the pink stuff in your water tank, how do you winterize your water pump. Water is in the lines going to and from the pump and inside the pump. So if you don't put pink stuff in your water tank at the end of the year and pump it through the pump, how do you get the end of the summer water, replaced with the pink stuff?

G

DL i have one of those setups that sucks the pink stuff right outta the bottle ,, never have put the pink stuff in the the tank ,, that way all lines and pump get the pink stuff ;) :)

DL Rupper

I'm still not understanding how it (pink stuff) gets into pump. :eek: Also, if my by-pass doesn't work will the setup put the pink stuff through the lines or will most of it end up in the hot water tank like it does now? Note: I usually just blow the water out of my lines with pressure and put enough pink stuff in my water tank to pump through my water pump and then pour some (pink stuff)down into my water traps. :bleh:

G

DL ,, they make a kit that has a tee type thingy ,, and u install it before the pump ,, usally a good spot to reach from outside ,, it has a valve that u flip ,, one is for regular use and the other way is for ,, what i'm gona describe now ,,,
When u want to winter rize ,, i blow the lines clear with air ,, then bypass the WH ,, turn the valve on the above mentioned ,, open the farthest faucet from the pump ,, and attach hose (that came with the pump set up ) into a gallon jug of pink stuff ,, turn on the pump ,, and it sucks the pink stuff from the bottle ,, just as it does with the water tank ,, but it does not go into the tank ,,, now did i confuse the heck outaa u or what :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
U then go to each faucet and such and watch for pink ,, but u do have to change jugs ,, mine takes 3 gallons to winterize it ,,, ,, this way all lines ,, faucets ,, showers ,, toilets and pump get pink stuff ,, and u don't have the pink stuff in the main water tank ,, and it saves pink stuff money ;) :laugh: :laugh: :cool: :cool: :cool:
OOps sorry ,, yes if u'r Wh bypass is not working ,, then alot of pink will end up there ,, but it's ok ,, just figure how many gallons u'r Wh is and add that to the total number of gals of pink :approve:

DL Rupper

OK, got it. I'm still screwed because my "old" single switch hot water by-pass doesn't work anymore. My best bet is to not get in any cold weather and need to temporarily winterize for short visits to stay with family.

G

I'm with u on the not going anywhere cold ,, if it were up to me i would live at the equator ,, nice and wrm all the time :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :approve: :approve: