>the gas, nothing happens. Pilot stays lit, but there's no big
>ignition to heat the tank. Figured no big deal, I'll just go flip
>the switch for the electric - which I did. I gave it quite some time
>(2 hours or more). No hot water. Went to the service panel outside
>and it was warm - indicating the heater was on. Checked the bypass
>valve and it's in the proper position and the ON/OFF switch on the
>rear of the heater is ON also. Can someone please reply both on the
>list and to me directly with a solution?? We'd like to use the rig
>this weekend and can't bear living without hot water again.
>
>Many thanks.
>
>Nancy in NY
>

Kirk

Prowler Water Heater HELP needed

Do you mean that water comes from the hot water tap, but it is cold? It would also be helpful it we knew what make of water heater you have. Some do not have a pilot, but use direct electric ignition, but it would appear that you do have the older type with a pilot. I am assuming that you are turning the knob to "pilot" and pushing it in to light the pilot, then hold it in for a minute or so to heat the thermal couple so that is stays on? Then when you release the knob the pilot did stay lit? And then you turn it to the "on" position?

The electric heaters do take several hours to heat the water, so I'm not sure that 2 would be enough to get hot, but it should be warm.

Hope that this is some help!

Gary B

Hi Nancy, welcome to the forum, if the pilot light stays on then I'd look at the burner tube assy it may have a spider in it or be blocked by something else, also clean the main gas orfice a little bit of corrsion on it. As for the electric side there are two (2) switchs one on the wall and one on the back of the heater. You state that you checked at the service panel and it was warm, do you mean that you opened the access door to the heater? If so and it was warm, if this is the case then it must have been heating and maybe the by-pass was in the wrong postion. You could try opening the drain valve a bit and checking to see if there is hot water. Also on the gas control valve there is a lever on the top back to adjust the temp, and if the electric was on and working then the gas would not have come on. Hope this helps. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

carbo63

Kirk, thanks for your response.
Do you mean that water comes from the hot water tap, but it is cold?
Yes, that's exactly the problem.
It would also be helpful it we knew what make of water heater you have. Some do not have a pilot, but use direct electric ignition, but it would appear that you do have the older type with a pilot.
I don't know the make offhand. I do know the pilot must be manually lit, as per the dealer demo I received before it was delivered.
I am assuming that you are turning the knob to "pilot" and pushing it in to light the pilot, then hold it in for a minute or so to heat the thermal couple so that is stays on? Then when you release the knob the pilot did stay lit? And then you turn it to the "on" position?
Correct. Although the knob doesn't seem to have any give to it - it's not like you can really push it in, but I am lighting it just as you describe. Pilot stays lit but no big ignition when turned to "on".
The electric heaters do take several hours to heat the water, so I'm not sure that 2 would be enough to get hot, but it should be warm.
Actually, I had it on all night if I remember correctly. How would I know whether my hot water tank was full to begin with?

carbo63

Gary,

Thanks for your response and suggestions.
You state that you checked at the service panel and it was warm, do you mean that you opened the access door to the heater? If so and it was warm, if this is the case then it must have been heating and maybe the by-pass was in the wrong postion.

Yes, I opened the door and could tell that it was warm. The pilot was not on, so I assumed the heater was working. I went inside and checked the by-pass valve and it appeared to be in the proper position(it was upright). What's the worst that would happen if I flipped the by-pass valve the other way? (Can you tell how new I am??)

You could try opening the drain valve a bit and checking to see if there is hot water.

Do you mean the valve at the service panel that I would use to empty the tank?

Also on the gas control valve there is a lever on the top back to adjust the temp, and if the electric was on and working then the gas would not have come on.

I had the thermostat at the mid-way point. I've read in other forums that the heater will work simultaneously on gas and electric - is that true??

Since I had just gone for the dealer demo prior to receiving delivery and the heater was working then, I don't think there's a blockage in the gas line - it looked pretty clear.

Paul Golden

I had a similar problem Nancy. After reviewing my paperwork on the heater, I finally found a "reset button" located on a control box in the heater area. It was covered with a rubber seal and I pushed on the rubber till it clicked and I could feel it, then it worked OK. I had turned it on without water in the tank and it shut down on its own for safety. I still need to verify the positions of my by-pass valves.

Kirk

quote: I went inside and checked the by-pass valve and it appeared to be in the proper position(it was upright). What's the worst that would happen if I flipped the by-pass valve the other way? (Can you tell how new I am??)

If you have the bypass in the wrong position what will happen is that you will get cold water, rather than hot. It sounds to me as though that is the problem. On most valves, the part valve is open if the elongated handle is lined up with the water line and it is shut when the handle is at right angle to the water line. I suggest that you try the other position, if you haven't done so.

Sorry to be so slow in getting back again, but as a fulltimer, I don't always have ready access to the internet.