Question about winterizing shortcut

cliosuze

I just traded my 30-yr-old camper in on a 2006 Forest River Flagstaff 31FKSS. All I did to winterize my old camper was to pour antifreeze down the drains, but the instructions to winterizing my new camper are much more complicated. Are there any shortcuts that work but still fully protect my camper? I'll appreciate any help given. Thanks.

C Nash

several ways to do this. Some open the low point drains, drain the water heater and blow out the lines using an adapter on the city water connector and blow all water from every faucet. Use low air pressure (around 35 pounds. Still have to pour antifreeze in drains. This methoid in most cases will not winterize the pump.
Best way IMO is to open low point drain, (close after all has drained)drain water heater and you should have a by pass valve on the heater to open. Use your demand pump and pump antifreeze through all lines by opening each faucett until you see antifreeze coming through. If there is no provision for pumping from the pump install a tee with a valve on the suction side of the pump. Don't forget shower, comode and comode rinse hose.

hertig

Or washer/dryer and outside shower hose. Winterizing the icemaker if so equipped is particularly annoying, see your owners manual. After all the lines are handled (either filled with antifreeze or emptied of water), make sure the black and gray water tanks are drained, especially with no liquid in the pipes.

Chelse, will this method handle the fresh water tank and the lines from the fresh water tank to the pump?

C Nash

John the low point drains should take care of these. Run the demand pump after draining will get it out of the line but you don't want to run the pump long dry. On my ice maker I disconnect the line at the fill valve and turn the pump on until I see antifreeze. Same on the washer dryer hook ups. It's almost impossible to drain all the water from the tanks but there is enough space for expansion in the tank IMO. You can add the rv antifreeze in the fresh tank and pump through the systems and might be a good idea for the colder climates. I just don't like the stuff in my fresh tank. If you go through the fresk tank it will take about 5 gallon but the afreeze is pretty cheap at wally world. I can do mine with 1 1/2 gallon. I generally try to drive around a little with the drains open . I have used both methods and never had a problem but, we generally don't have any real cold weather here.
cliosuze, I know all this sounds complicated but it's really not. If you are not confortable doing it get a rv friend to help the first time.
I forgot to say the easy way to winterize is GO SOUTH :laugh: :laugh:

cliosuze

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I actually do live in the South, but we still get below freezing on some nights. I'm ready to go camping now but we'd have to winterize again upon return, as cold as some nights have been lately. Your info is helpful--nice to know you're out there. :)

C Nash

cliosuze, I think it has to get in the teens and not go above frezzing in the day time before any freeze damage will occur. If you have inclosed underbelly you should be ok in the high twenties but remember this is just my opinion.

s.harrington

Buy the valve kit to put on the suction side of your waterpump. We have found that if you put antifreeze in your tank and don't flush it out before the bugs come out the bugs will find a way into your tank. The antifreeze turns into a sugary compound when it oxidizes and attracts small gnat like insect.

Shadow

BINGO :eek: , Thank you so much S.Harrington! We had the gnat problem on our Cougar. Never could figure it out. Never used the fresh water tank on it. We were always hooked to city water. I learn something new on this site everytime I log on. Thanks guys ;)

george henry

Where do the bugs come from? how do they get into the water line. Have never used the fresh water tank , just bought new 2006 Class A 34 foot motor coach two months ago and only using city water at camp site.. I also need to check the under belly to see is all my water lines are enclosed? :shy: thanks this site just gets better as I read along.