Question for those who remember the classics

TheWetFish

Hi Everybody,
I just bought my first RV, a 1970 Ford 17' Shasta, and had a few questions for those who may know the old motorhomes. I notice that when I bought this one that there was no tanks besides the gas tanks. Shouldn't it have a black and grey tank also? The guy told me that they didn't use a black or grey tank in something that old. The toilet is electric and self contained till you drain it through the pipe that runs out the bottom of the RV. The guy also told me that's the same pipe that the water from the sink runs out of too. Does this sound correct or do I need to go buy a few tanks to get the system set up the way it should be? Any knowledgable help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance,
Matt

TheWetFish

Hoping that somebody here remembers the "old" models. The darn thing runs way too good to not take a bit of time and give it some TLC.

Browzin

Have you tried contacting the manufacture, I did a quick Google check and found this.
Shasta (Coachmen Recreational Vehicles Co.) 219-825-8225 Class C

TheWetFish

Thanks Browzin,

Not sure why I didnt think of that right away (probably a brain-fart..lol). I will give them a call.

Thanks Again,
Matt

s.harrington

Some of these came with a recirculatin toilet which had a built in holding tank and was good for 2-4 days depending on use. Most didn't come gray water tanks back then because you could let gray water run on the ground before the Dept of Ecology was formed. Now you will either have to install a gray tank or carry a portable around with you.

TheWetFish

Thanks for the info S.Harrington. The toilet is one of that style so it did make me wonder if it was the type that was self contained or not. Plus confusion set in when I didnt see any type of tank besides the fuel tanks. Your reply is very usefull, helpfull, and greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again,
Matt

junkyarddog

Hello fish, I just purchased a 1966 holiday rambler tt and have no tanks as well. All pipes go to one exit pipe. I think mine has sat it's whole life on a site, but that is about to change! If anyone has any info on the old birds, I would be greatful. Thanks :)

TheWetFish

Hi Junkyarddog,

It is nice to hear that I am not the only one with a classic RV on the site. With a few repairs, mine drives just like new again for lots less than the new RV price. The best thing is pulling into the flea market this weekend and having people come up to me, walking right past the almost new huge class A RVs and admiring the 1970 Shasta. Along with all the talking about the old Shasta, I generated plenty of sales as a result of it, one of the best weekends I had so far.

Matt

junkyarddog

I just bought the old girl, I fell in love with the original birchwood interior. I am now in the process of replacing some sections of floor that I didn't know were rotted. Would you belive these floors are 2 layers os 3/4 inch plywood!! They don't make anything that compares to the old ones. I gotta have it ready for the maiden voyage in july. Like they say fix em don't crush em!

TheWetFish

I recently bought mine also, about a month ago. I was actually searching for a motor home built in the 80's, yet once I seen this one it was mine. My grandfather used to have a 1970 ford van that he used for work and it is also the same age as me. I remember my grandfather taking me out for drives in the woods looking for deer and other wildlife in that van. Never remember his van never being in running condition for a drive either, so that was a great plus when I found this one. The other plus was the price. The price was about the same as a brand new RV monthly payment would have been on a newer class c motorhome. Yeah I did have to do some mechanical work to it to make it roadworthy once again, yet no problem since I am handy with a wrench. The tires were dry rotted and since 16.5 tires are rare around my area, I found out I could use 16 inch rims from a 3/4 ton ford or dodge truck, so off to the junkyard I went. Found a set of rims and tires with 95% tread left on the tires for around the price of one new tire. Only other thing was the steering, tie rods were bad. Had a minor problem with those. Could not even get them thru a dealer, although one dealer could order aftermarket for me at a price tag of over $200 per side. OUCH!!! So once again off to the scrap yard and found a 71 Ford 1 ton cube van with perfect steering on it yet. Bought those parts for a $50 bill. Drives like brand new now, maybe even better since it rolls on radials instead of bias ply tread.

Now the people with the newer RVs might think "Why go thru all the hassle of fixing when you can buy a newer one that doesn't need work done on it". Well to me that is part of the fun of owning a classic. Being able to fix and restore something myself instead of sending it off to the shop gives me a big smile on my face knowing that I did this all on my own. I can probably turn more heads with this little 17 foot Ford Shasta than somebody with a brand new class A because it is a classic.

Matt

csavage

RE: Question for those who remember the classics

I cut my RV "teeth" in a 76 Shasta mini-a "22D" with 6 people, my parents and us 4 kids!
It's a wonder my dad didn't kill us(he did leave my brother behind in Chicago once)

There was a common waste water tank in ours...I know 'cuz I(at ages 13-17 and the oldest) dumped it.

We had problems with the engine...it had a Dodge van chassis, 360 cu.in engine, I believe, and was woefully underpowered. We overheated alot.

It was solid, tho...
The windows were classic-rolling louver style
And the wings....

Have fun with yours

DL Rupper

Hey guys/gals your are lucky to have a toilet in your classic RV's. I cut my theeth on a "69" Aristocrat 8' camper and a "60/70" Cardinal 13' TT. Niether of which had a toilet. We used a porta-potty that came with diposable plastic bags held on with an elastic band. Needless to say there were occasions late at night or 1 too many beers when the porta-potty tipped over with someone installed or the elastic band would break with the weighty contents. :bleh: But it was fun to camp in the mountains/desert out West when you could boondock on BLM land anywhere at will and ride your motocross bikes wherever. :laugh: Too old now too ride the moto's, but still camp out West with my modern 5er and toilet with holding tank. Might still fall off but at least it won't spill. :clown:

Poppa

Re: Question for those who remember the classics

When it comes to retrofits lets do it good. Find you a good spot for a gray and black tank. the piping and valves are easy to install and cheap, that is if you want to fix up the ole gal. The tanks when you find out what size you want to use can be picked up on E-bay reasonable. :laugh:

TheWetFish

Yeah I am currently aquiring parts for the Shasta. Been primarily scrounging the scrap yards in my area because around here people do not seem to think about RV parts at the auto salvage yard. Plus the ones in there are usually old design and sizes, which is what mine is, old. I have came across a few refridgerators, yet have yet to find one my size that works. Once I do the scrap yard told me they will charge me a whole $20 as long as I take it out. Can't beat that for a price on a RV fridge. I removed the secondary fuel tank and filled that spot with the fresh water tank ($5 for the tank and its a perfect fit) and found a spot for a black tank. Will have to be a small tank, but anything is better than just the storage space inside the self contained toilet. The grey tank has a place reserved also where the original spare tire used to go. Spare tire is currently mounted on the back of the RV. Even found a Coleman roof A/C for $50.00 and I know it works because I helped take it out of his toy hauler/ TT. He upgraded and knew I wanted a roof air. So as you can tell, it is not getting done super fast, yet it is getting there. Time is my biggest problem since I need the RV for selling and am only home maybe 2 days out of the week at most. I have been taking pictures as I begin another project with it and once it is completed then I will make a web page to show the before, during, and after pics. it is alot of work so far, but its alot of fun work.
:)

Matt

TheWetFish

DL Rupper - 7/25/2006 10:08 AM
Might still fall off but at least it won't spill. :clown:

lol. I cant fall off my toilet even if I tried to. The restroom is barely big enough to sit down in, much less tip over. I did however fall into the restroom the other weekend. Might have been due to the amount of Southern Comfort 100 proof that I consumed. lol

Matt

whitey

:) Hello:

Can any of you guys post any pictures of your older rig, I would think it would make for real great viewing. :) :)

By the way i relly like those older rig.

Poppa

Your potty is what they call a DABI I think thats right its short for Drop'em And Back In.

Poppa

Forgot mine is a 1978 Foretravel class A, Bought it for a song Then dropped 11 grand on an engine and tranny. Wuoldn't get rid of it for anything it really turns heads. Ole gal is all wood inside with no press board anywhere.

mike9121

Poppa - 11/6/2006 7:32 PM

Your potty is what they call a DABI I think thats right its short for Drop'em And Back In.

Yep mine is like that too except wet. Why they bothered how they managed to put a shower and potty in a cab over amazes me but it does come in handy.