Question please!

mommatravel

Are there any fulltimers out there that are pulling a 5th wheel with a Chevy 1500 with a long bed. If yes, what model and length? We are supposed to go full time when we get the house sold and hit the road when Mr. retires first of the year. AH HA, I've been doing a lot of reading and research. I know why they say get your arguments over before going to dealership. Geez! They can get a little bit rowdy. We would just be going from Ga. to the Big Bend Fla. Supposedly taking the back roads. AH Ha...I little advice would be helpful.

ARCHER

Question please!

I don't have a fiver, but from what I have read on this forum for the last three years, a 2500 is probably a better choice for a puller. It gives you so many more options as to fivers. You will be limited on fivers with the 1500 basically due to weight restrictions. If you already have the 1500, you will need to go with some kind of "lite" type fiver that is probably less than 5,000 lbs dry weight and then add all your stuff that you will want to haul. Just some thoughts. :) :laugh: :cool: ;)

Poppa

Question please!

I have to agree with Archer, something else to consider is you are talking about full timing.

A lite weight trailer will tend to be on the small side and on those rainy days when you can't push the ole man outside there is something called CABIN FEVER- GET OUT OF MY SIGHT that sets in.( Of course you can always pack him a sleeping bag).

Just some food for thought.

turnipbwc

Question please!

mommatravel,
I have a 1500 Chevy and checked in to 18" to 23" fifth wheels. You could pull one but it would have to be under 5000 and I mean UNDER. There would never be enough room in a short one for full timing. My advise is to trade the 1500 in on a 2500 or 3500 if you want to pull a fifth wheel. Another way would be trade the 1500 in on a used Class C and pull a small toad. You can always upgrade after that. Good Luck in whatever you do.
turnip42

mommatravel

Question please!

Thank you very much for your imput. I also suggested maybe getting a 29' or prefably a 30' footer and have it hauled by an insured hauler. What do you think about that considering he doesn't want to run around, just to his two favorite spots. Kids and fishing. Love this forum. mommatravel

campbud

Question please!

That would be an idea, you would just have the cost of that and have to rely on someone else to pull it.I would say if you are ok with that then go for it. I have never used one before so cant tell you any pros or cons :( I too would go a bigger truck if you are thinking about pulling that size of an RV.

Kirk

Question please!

I think that you need to check to see just what the towing by a contractor will cost you, as you may want to be sitting down when you hear the figures. And, doing that would also mean that you could not use it in between. Why get an RV if that is what you plan to do? It would be far less expensive to put a park model on the location at each place and the total cost for two park modles will be about what a quality fifth wheel would cost.

hertig

Question please!

Besides the small size of trailers which could be pulled with a 1500 (1/2 ton), they will probably have to be light weight as well, which means they will be FLIMSY. If you are going to fulltime in a trailer, get a truck which will pull a trailer which is big enough and sturdy enough to live in comfortably and reliably. Even a 2500 (3/4 ton) probably won't do it; the 2500 HD (heavy 3/4 or lite 1 ton) might if you don't mind small living spaces. Realistically, you may want to consider a 3500 (1 ton) or bigger. However, be advised that some states have extra costs and/or licensing requirements on driving 1 ton & bigger trucks, so check the rules where you will have your official residence.

C Nash

Question please!

Mommatravel, I know all the above post are probably not what you wanted to hear but, I have to agree with them. Most of us have been there and done that. I had a 28 ft Cougar fifth wheel with slide that I pulled with a 1500 and it did pretty good but, I would never used it for fulltiming. It was a great entry level unit for weekend camping or couple weeks vac. have you camped before? Might try renting one before you take the big plunge. Fulltiming is not for everone.

mommatravel

Question please!

Oh yes we do camp. Belong to prospecting club in N. Ga. In fact we have a travel trailer there. We bought it there, it stays there and will probably die there. I've been told its not quite road worthy but great for the mts. Also have a Rockwood Forest River tent camper in the back yard, for other places but not for fulltiming. It is Mister's dream to get in a RV and get up and go. There just is more to it then he realizes. All the comments I've received are just about what I've been try to tell him but how many husbands listen to their wives the first time around. But will go and ask their buddy or someone at work. Now I might have stepped in it the other day, he came across a good deal on a 5-hitch but I told him maybe better wait till he sees what kind of pin the trailer had. Now I'll stop there and say it was on another forum I think, they were talking about pins, and scraping, and slideing hitches and being short and extentions. So better wait than be sorry, couldn't get him to read the forum so he would understand. So maybe we'll get things going in the right direction and start looking at some used Class C's.

Kirk

Question please!

I think that you need to start by reading a book or two one fulltime RV living. I would suggest "Full-time RVing" written by Jan & Bill Moeller and published by Trailer Live Press. But there are many others and many of them are good. But a book from one who has done it will point out many things that must be addressed before you start, as well as how to choose an RV. It just insn't as simple as just loading up and driving away. This is a complete lifestyle change and is no different than moving to a new community. We have been fulltime now for five years and love it. But one of the reasons that we still love this life is the fact that we took the time to prepare first.

the_vfox

Question please!

I would think the 3/4 ton series or higher depending on which trailer you are pulling. A hauler will charge 1.25 per mile minimum plus a gas surcharge. That could get a little pricey.

:C