Raining Problem

Cryzmath

We've come across one problem that neither of have been able to solve yet. When it rains -- a good or hard strong rain, our tv shuts off. It just doesn't seem to want to work when it rains. Any suggestions?
(We've gone onto the roof and seal up an area where we thought the rain was coming in -- didn't work for the intense rain.) :blush: :question:

Gary B

Raining Problem

Hi Cryzmath, it maybe the ant. head assy is shorting in the rain, there is a signal amp in the head. Just a idea to check out. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

Cryzmath

Raining Problem

We'll check into it, but it seems to be somewhere along the wiring I believe. Thanks for the feedback. ;)

turnipbwc

Raining Problem

My guess is there is a cut in the electric wire and water is geting inside the wire and shorting it out or water is geting in the fuse and shorting it out. Another place I would look is a loose ground wire that is geting wet and shorting out.
Hope you find it.
turnip42

Poppa

Raining Problem

Would you mind a few questions?

1. Does the power shut of or just the picture?

Need some place to start ok?

Kirk

Raining Problem

Cryzmath,
Is your TV loosing power? If so, is the cause the opening of your GFI outlet in the bathroom? Mine did that a couple of times when it rained and I discovered that the power supply goes from the bathroom outlet, to the front TV and then to the outside outlets. What was happening was the cover for our outside outlet was cracked and when it rained hard moisture was getting into the outlet causing the GFI to opnen. It might be worth considering.

Cryzmath

Raining Problem

1) It is just the TV -- won't power on. The VHS player works, but there is no tv power. :(
2) It only happens when it rains -- the only area affected is just the tv in front of our coachmen. All the other outlets seem to work just fine. (it's kinda hard to check now since it is raining this weekend in Port Townsend, WA) :blush:

Poppa

Raining Problem

Well time for more questions. Is the VHS and the TV one unit or separate units? If they are separate units are they plugged into the same receptcale? If it is a combination unit, you have a problem inside the unit which could be in the switching system. If it they are separate units plugged into the same receptcale There is a possibility the tv has a loose connection in it or the receptcale may be bad. The easiest way to check this is the next time it quits, unplug the tv and run an extension cord to a known good receptcale. Trouble shooting is sort of hit and miss. Suggest each time you try something you write it down so when someone asks a question or makes a suggestion you know whether you have tried it.

Lets us know what steps you have taken.

Poppa

Raining Problem

Well time for more questions. Is the VHS and the TV one unit or separate units? If they are separate units are they plugged into the same receptcale? If it is a combination unit, you have a problem inside the unit which could be in the switching system. If it they are separate units plugged into the same receptcale There is a possibility the tv has a loose connection in it or the receptcale may be bad. The easiest way to check this is the next time it quits, unplug the tv and run an extension cord to a known good receptcale. Trouble shooting is sort of hit and miss. Suggest each time you try something you write it down so when someone asks a question or makes a suggestion you know whether you have tried it.

Lets us know what steps you have taken.

Cryzmath

Raining Problem

Thanks! I love the replies. No -- I don't think it's a ghost, but it is certian to be close to holloween! :laugh: The TV and VHS are two separate units. The VHS is a AC/DC unit that only plugs into the 12V unit while the TV is a 120V unit that plugs into an outlet that is half-way shut (one is aviable for use while the other part is blocked -- not sure why -- just the way it came.) We're currently having our extra TV pluged into an extension cord to a good outlet that works fine.
I agree -- it is a lot of hit and miss when working with trouble shooting. :approve:

Poppa

Raining Problem

You may have just uncovered your problem. The receptecle is blocked off so you can only use one side of it. Sounds like you may need to install a new receptecale. I ran into a problem where I could read 120 volts on a meter but when a load was put on the receptecale nothing would work. Come to find out one wire was broken and was just touching enough to get a voltage reading but not secure enough to carry a load.. It may happen just when it rains and the humidity gets high and corrodes a little. The receptecale is your next move. Let us know what happens.

Cryzmath

Raining Problem

I'll bug my partner to check into it and we'll let you know of the results. Thanks for the suggestions. (it's not quite "high" on our list of priorities) :shy: