RAM 2500...what would u buy?

hippity_hop

Am looking at trading in 99 RAM 1500 for either,

2500 SLT Quad Cab, Automatic, 4x4, 5.7 Hemi. (rated to tow 8,800 lbs).

2500 SLT Quad Cab, Manual, 4x2, Cummins Diesel. (rated to tow 13,000 if I remember)

Both are 2003 left over models discounted to the same price, $35,000 canadian.
Am presently hauling an 8,000 lb 5wheel.

Which would you choose and why??
Also, anyone presently own either of these trucks and what can I expect for mileage? My present only got me 9-10 mpg (imperial not american) hauling the 5th.

Peter

hertig

The automatic, gas engine would probably be more useful when not towing, and easier to drive. 5.7 may be a bit small to tow with, particularly that close to the truck's maximum tow rating. It is possible that the value listed (8800 pounds) is with a stripped truck with no options, no cargo, no passengers, a 150 pound driver and just a touch of fuel (which is how the truck manufacturers used to figure these ratings).

The manual, diesel option is probably much better for towing, particularly in the mountains, but may be a bother when not towing. Also, it depends on how comfortable you are driving a stick shift. The diesel tends to hold its value better, but that may be somewhat countered by the relative unpopularity of the manual transmission.

Also, you will need to factor in the availability and relative cost of gas vrs diesel fuel.

4x4 is a debatable feature. It can get you out of some situations where a 4x2 would leave you stranded, but the cost is a reduction in your trucks capacity (due to the additional weight of the option), increase in maintenance costs and 'things which can break'.

I don't have any personal knowledge of either of these vehicles, or any of their components. All I can say is, my 6.0L Chevy gas engine struggles getting a 6000 lb trailer up hills, and gives about 8 MPG towing vrs 12-14 MPG unloaded.

Gary B

Peter buy the diesel its what you want to hear so spend the bucks.
You apparently didn't like the anwsers from your 1st post.
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

sp

Peter,

I have the hemi. This little guy is the old 24' Prowler trying to keep up with it. :eek: Milage back and forth to work (18 miles) and around town is 12.5 mpg. Pulling the old dog from CT to NH was 9.5 mpg. The tank and neck hold around 29 gallons which costs me $44 - $46 to fill up. It is a fun truck to drive! Good Luck! :bleh:

sp

hertig

Unless the Suburban in available in a 3/4 ton (2500) model, probably not. Question is not 'could' but 'should'...