ready to trade up

cmoss

WE are currently in a 25ft bumper pull and are trying to decide between a 5th wheel or small rv. I would like to know if anyone has a smaller rv(30ft or so) and tows a car/jeep, how it handles can you get up mountains fairly easy( enough power)? Also can you ride in the back of a 5th wheel while towing it? Any input would be of great help!

Grandview Trailer Sa

ready to trade up

Can't help you on the small rv, but you cannot ride in any trailer legally. Good luck in your search. If you get interested in a fifth wheel, let me know.

C Nash

ready to trade up

Some states allow riding in towed rvs but after a few miles I bet you would want out. Talk about a wild ride :eek: . No way would I do it even in a legal state. Are you thinking class A or C. You will see a lot of 30 ft range towing smaller toads.

hertig

ready to trade up

When we first got the 5th wheel, my significant other tried riding in it. My 5er, like many, has no shocks, and she got airborne with every bump we hit, and that was in the city. One time we were still driving late at night and she insisted on going in on the bed and said it was quite pleasant. Probably because it is over the rear wheels of the truck and gets benefits from the truck shocks.

Generally, don't do it for legal and practical reasons. If you need to do it, look into adding shocks to your trailer (I think kits are available at reasonable cost) and HAVE AN INTERCOM SYSTEM (required by common sense for sure, and some states, I think). FRS radios may be adequate, as long as they have a loud, distinctive, call alert tone you can hear over road noise/radio/etc. We use the Kenwood units; pricey but top notch. If your radios don't have this feature, both parties wearing a headset or earphone may suffice.

As for towing with a RV, be very careful of the tow rating and CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity, figured by subtracting curb weight of the RV from the GVW). Some RVs, particularly the class Cs, can't carry or tow much.

cmoss

ready to trade up

I think we are going to go with a 5th wheel. We are just to afraid that we would drag the ground in some of our favorite weekend spots. Thanks for everyones help.

Grandview Trailer Sa

ready to trade up

You guys may be right about some legal states, but I was under the impression that it was not. I live in VA, and it not legal. I do agree, you would not want to be riding in the trailer.

Kirk

ready to trade up

While there are some states that do allow passengers in a travel trailer, all that I know of do require that there be some means of communication between the passengers and the driver of the tow vehicle. But this should not be an issure of legal or not. It should be an issue of safety. It is very dangerous since CO from the exhaust can enter the RV and put the victim to sleep, then kill them. I would never allow anyone to ride in a trailer that I was towing. I don't think finding the kids dead in the RV would make for a very fun outing!

janicenlarry

ready to trade up

When deciding between a 5th wheel and a motor home, you need to analyze your type of travel. If you are not moving often, the 5th wheel would be your choice. While they are more difficult to park, they do offer more room. If you are moving frequently, the motor home is the best choice. If you do select the motor home, check allowable towing weights. Far too many smaller Class A's and most Class C's are towing far more vehicle than is permissable or safe. :cool:

ready to trade up

LOVE MY 5'ER. We have a 31' at present but browsing for a 36' for full timing 2 years down the road, when junior goes off to college.