Rear View Camera Installation...Need Help!!

ironart

Hi All and thanks for the previous help on my batteries.
I am installing a Rear View camera system in my 1992 National Dolphin 3400 MH.
Of course, I don't want to drill holes before I have an idea of what I am drilling into....Does anyone have an idea of how the back cap was installed and is there a raceway behind that large bump-out at the top of the cap..and does it go around the side and end up at the bottom near the tail lights..??? I am hoping so..!! Are there any secrets to running the cable..?? Any Suggestions..?? Am I Nuts for doing this..??? I am going to tow a Tosd or a trailer and I need to see where the hitch is and look on occasion to see if it is still behind be....If you know what I mean...

Is there a receway from the back to the front of the coach or will I just have to wing it from underneath :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :eek:

Thanks again for your suggestions in the past.......I can use all the help I can get..

Paul (Ironart)
Hesperia CA

C Nash

Re: Rear View Camera Installation...Need Help!!

Don't know about yours Paul but on my HR there is plenty room behind the rear cap and I would think I would run underneath the house. Don't know if National still is in business or not but try goggling them to see if they have the answer. Maybe Rod or Ken will know on your National. Yes do install one to see the toad and what's going on back there. Get one with sound.

TexasClodhopper

My Winnie was prewired for a back camera. All I would have to do is hook up at both ends. Maybe yours is, too.

If not, you better go underneath with any new wiring. The factory wiring is put in before the interior is put in.

ironart

Hi Nash,
Nation has gone the way of Alpha and Monaco....By-By :eek: :disapprove:
Yes, I did get the one with sound... Big bucks though....$100 for the camera (CCV Color) and another $325 for the in-dash monitor.

ironart

Hi Texas,
Wouldn't that be nice... :) :) but this coach is so old 1992 that I don't think they did that in those years......anyway I will still have to run another wire for the mike in the camers cuz I have the sound option on the camera........There is never an easy way out..!!
Thanks for the optimistic thoughts :)

ironart

Texas,
I am new to the forum and don't know all of the personal handles yet....If I am calling you by the wrong one please correct me and I apologize.
I am member of SASS (Single Action Shooters Society) and got my handle "Ironart" from my metal business. :cool: :cool:
I always tell those I meet who forget my name.....Call my anything you want....just don't call me late for dinner :) :)

C Nash

Guess I had better start watching the news. When did Monaco fold?

ironart

Just recently from what I read.....I will try to find the post and get back

C Nash

Not suprised at the closings and expect to see more with the economy on the down slide with no end in sight. Fuel prices are killing the economy in this country and killing the dreams of retirement for some of us. :(

ironart

Unfortunately, I am one of those. I looked for 6 months till I found a coach that I could pay cash for. I don't care if it is a '92 It is clean and well cared for and the miles are not too high and it is just right for my wife and I and our two Australian Shepherds. The best part is I can afford to put a little money into it to get it just the way I want it.
The Dolphin 3400 is actually 35' long and a foot longer than I wanted but now that I have it , I am glad to see that extra closet space....Oh Yea.!! :) :) :) :) :laugh:

C Nash

Better paid for than upside down in a new one. probably going to start seeing a lot of repo that the bank will want more than they are worth because people could get in a new one for little down and have since lost jobs and cannor pay for them.

Pillaz

Hey paul, let me know how you make out. I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I have a 1991 34ft allegro bay. Bought it three years ago, low miles and in good shape. Paid cash. It leaves $ to go camping with. I tow a boat with mine and launch the boat with it.(see don't try this at home) Although I have never had any trouble, The back up camera would be nice. Been thinkiing about installing a camera for a while. Just never get the time.
Happy camping. see you at the beach!

Pillaz

One other thing. I snap a bike flag ($2 at Walmart) in the rod holders on the boat. This way I can see the flag through my back window. this does not work at highway speeds but it does really help when backing up. When I start making "tex" $ I will add the back up camera. :laugh:

TexasClodhopper

Sorry to bust your bubble, but I don't have a backup camera; just a place for one. Too much money for the benefit gained.

It's also how I keep Sallyberetta from giving me directions. When she starts to give me directions (hasn't in a long time), I make her get out and direct me from the rear of the space I'm trying to back in to. A couple of times doing that, and my darling bride has found something else to do when I'm backing up! :clown:

ironart

Yea....I guess there is not a lot of us that qualify in that category....although, with my measly retirement check....at least I don't have to give most of it to the government..!!
I got some great advice from the group and I am going to start the project this week. I have to install the new refrigerator first and then the camera and monitor. I got a great monitor..... Made by Valor multimedia # ITS-702W It goes in the dash (like a radio) it gives AM/FM tuning and DVD,IPOD,Sat radio,and much more....but the great part is the monitor is motorized and comes out of the unit on demand and then goes back into the unit when not in use....just disappears into the radio. Really a slick set-up and keeps the dash clean so you don't have the monitor obstructing your view.
I will keep everyone posted as to my progress. Just a few more items to do and I will be ready to go.

ironart

Hi Paul,
You know there is a lot to say for getting the wife out of the coach. i got pretty good a backing my 27' Southwind to hook up my trailer even without the wife to guide. Only had to readjust a couple of times and I had it. This one (35') is bigger and a little scary to me....Just wanted a little extra help in those tight situations.
My wife has a habit of hiding behind the coach so I can't see her. Not a good practice!! We always have words about that and sometimes she doesn't get over it for hours.
That, in itself justifies the camera to me...!!!!! If you know what I mean....

C Nash

Hay guys, think I'm qualified to give info on the wife deal as we have beem married 49 years if we make it till sept 5th. After backing in with her giving the directions just tell her she did great and it was my fault that I hit the tree after running over the picnic table :eek: :laugh:

H2H1

way to go Nash give credit where it does' belong. Look I got a back up camera with a mic, plus hand held walkie talkie and the DW was giving direction on how to back into our drive way. Now the MH is only 24 new to us, so being careful here. I have to brick columns on the side of the drive way. I have been driving and backing in super large fire trucks for years, so this is't new to me. But the DW was givening direction and not wanting make her mad I did as she suggested. Bang one brick column down and a bad scratch on the side. Also she gets in behind the Mh so you can't see her and when I just sat there she gets mad as why I am not doing as she suggest. I just use some kind words like is your insurance paid up, she gets the message. :laugh: :laugh: :bleh: :approve:

LEN

I just stop when the directions stop coming either radio or in the mirrors. Sat 5 mins one time then finally get out and she is talking with someone and as I approach she goes OH OH. Then there's the get behind the rig out of camera range giving directions. But we are getting better, she is standing on my blind side where I can see her in the mirror and she is looking up down and both sides most of the time. Comunication is a learning process and we are getting better. She is even visualizing backing the toad on the trailer and helping with the turns, boy that helps allot (now witch button is drive and witch is reverse and set the brake.

LEN