Reasonable legal assistance

Iris Leuntjens

We are in the process of 'unloading' our 2003 motorhome due to tremendous problems. The manufacturer will not help with an extended warranty, and we can not reasonably purchase one due to excessive problems. We are going to loose our savings just to get rid of this motorhome, and no one seems to be able to help. There is no lemon law in Iowa on motorhomes, states attorney, and consumer protection more or less says we are on our own. Does anyone know of someone we can talk to without spending a lot more money? Thank you in advance.

C Nash

Iris Leuntjens
I don't understand why you need an extended warrenty. A 2003 should still be covered under the manufactures warrenty. What kind of problems have you had? Don't care to know the manufacture.

Iris Leuntjens

Chelse, Thanks for replying. Our warranty is up in December 2003. Every window, both slides, and the windshield leak water. The windshield has pulled away from the frame, over 1/2 iin in some places. The pipes were not hooked up under the sink, and ruined the carpet. The shower leaks and stinks. The commode has to be over half full in order to flush down. The gas pedal has broken, and the ABS light goes on and off. The CO detector goes off whenever it wants, the microwave has been replaced, there is a short in the wiring, and is creating havoc with the lights and the batteries. These are current problems, it has been in the shop 14 times in ten mos. The motorhome only has 7k miles on it, as it does not leave the shop long enough to travel. We are starting a new list as we speak, and we just picked it up two days ago. We are both medically disabled and it seems that no one cares.
Thank you very much, Iris

C Nash

WOW, I sure feel for you Iris. Be sure and keep all records showing the problems you have had with this MH. Even if warranty runs out existing problems should be corrected. Shame what these unit cost and then we can't get the problem repaired. All makes have lemons and sure sounds as though you got one. Has the manufactur offered any help? Has the dealer repaired any of the problems? Have you called your state senators ha ha know you will receive help there but, make all these calls and document everything. Maybe they can at least advise you toward some kind of help. Might try a search on the MH brand and see if maybe some others are having the same problems. If so, a class action suit might be in order. Keep us posted and good luck

Iris Leuntjens

Chelse, We do have all documents, e-mails, pictures etc. I called the manufacturer to see if they would at least give us an extended warranty, and they said "NO". They did offer to give us a phone # of somewhere we could purchase a warranty, however they said 'I doubt if they would sell you one with all of the problems you have.' I have contacted the consumer protection dept, and they gave me a phone #. When I called that the attorney said he would want $20k up front. We do not have that kind of money, as we put everything in the motorhome to keep the payments down. I explained that we both were ill, and bought the m/h in good faith to travel while we could, and they would not even reply. Can I put this in the regular forum, to see if anyone else knows anything? Thanks again, Iris

ARCHER

Iris,
Really sorry about your problems. I guess the biggest thing that would upset me is that the Manufacturer has basically left you out in the cold.
If I had similar problems, I think what I might do is get in touch (Directly) with the CEO of the company that made the motorhome. Many times the CEO will help with things like this.....if they know about it. A lot of times, the people below them don't want to have to tell them, WE GOT A LEMON, so they never find out. See if you can find the CEO's name and how to contact them directly. If the CEO won't help, I don't know what to tell you.
Good Luck.....and hope it all turns out ok for you.
PS....I'd ask the CEO to replace the motorhome and not fix it... :angry:

C Nash

Iris,
have youu tried contacting some of the magazines action lines such as Motor Home. they seem to have a lot of clout with the manufactures. I would also do as Archer suggested and try the CEO. I don,t think the moderators would mind you putting this in the regular forum.

Iris Leuntjens

Archer & Chelse, I am giving your ideas another try. I have sent multiple messages to Monaco in the past, but they only seem to go to the tech people. I did not know how far I could go with notifing anyone, you know how weird the law is. We do not want the motorhome replaced, all we are asking is for our money back. We understand that is probably not going to happen, but it will sure assist with the additional medical bills this has created. Thank you very much for listening to me. Iris

Iris Leuntjens

Archer, Thank you for your concern, but we would not take another HR product even if it was free. We are in the process of trading it, for the balance due, on a Newmar fifth wheel and truck. We are looking forward to this transaction. I do feel sorry for whomever purchases this home, as since we picked it up four days ago(from being repaired for leaking)three new leaks have come up, including one that has been fixed before. We are prepared to take our beating and go forward. We are not mentally capable of having anything else ruined by leaks. Thank you once again, Iris

RML714

Iris,

It sounds like you should go after the dealer you purchased your RV from. Get ahold of the owner and call him every day. Park in front of his store and put lemons on your vehicle. Call a local tv/radio station and see if they have a consumer affairs reporter. Contact the BBB, they will (may) arbitrate your case. Email the President of the manufacturer. You can write to the consumer RV magazines but the odds of getting a letter published and the time it will take to get a response will take forever. Start local and don't sell to anyone you know. Good luck.

Looie

Iris, do a search using "motorhomes, federal lemon laws". There does appear to be federal lemon laws.

medic1

Am terribly sorry for your misfortune. I hope you did a VERY thorough exam of your new 5er BEFORE you took possession.

Krazeehorse

I think I would also shop around for another attorney. I feel very confident that you will be able to find competent legal assistance for much less than the $20K that your first contact asked for.

Iris Leuntjens

When we were at the dealership getting rid of our Monaco, another couple were there doing the same thing. There HR motorhome was only a couple of months older than ours, and they said someone at Monaco asked them not to call anymore because they were going to do nothing to help them.
In another forum, I visited with another couple that was getting the TV channel to come out and talk to them about there new HR motorhome. Monaco refused to help them also.
I do understand that lemons can come from any company. But Monaco NEEDS to start to care about the people that purchase there products.
We are n our Newmar fifth wheel now and it is fantastic. We have had it for five weeks and no problems at all. That beats Monaco hands down. By the way, when I called about our warranty on the Newmar, the rep I talked to recognized my name, as he came from Monaco. He stated he was very happy to make the move. Wonder why?????
Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and concerns, maybe the future will be a little more sunny.
Happy Holidays, Iris

C Nash

Merry Christmas and happy Holidays to you Iris.
Sorry if the Christmas offends anyone but I still believe.
Great to hear that the Newmar has made you happy and giving no problems. Newmar puts out a great product. Maybe the rep from Monaco got fired because he did not give you service and he is happy Newmar hired him :laugh: .
Is Iris Leuntjens your real name? I would like to contact Monaco and hear their side. Most all Monaco campers I have talked with have been very pleased with product and service from Monaco. One of the reasons I purchased a HR. Did like the Newmar products and warrenty but could not find a floor plan I wanted.

Iris Leuntjens

Hi Chelese,
I am very happy to hear 'Christmas' in public, I do not want to offend anyone either, but I should not have to feel like I can't say such a beautiful thing as 'Christmas'. So thank you, as I believe also.
Yes, my real name is Iris Leuntjens, and my husband is Michael. If you would like the coach # I will be happy to send it to you. I would be very happy to hear what Monaco had to say to justify not giving us an extended warranty after all that we went through. I will be happy to supply work orders, pictures, letters, e-mails or anything else you may want.
Thanks again, and Merry Christmas, Iris

C Nash

Iris,I would like to have the information if you could e-mail it to me. Probably want respond to me about another problem but, would like to hear what they would say myself. Maybe if they see orhers are reading these they will at least make attempts to satisfy their customers. No reaason we should have to do without our rvs for months. Most car dealers have to supply loaners in these cases. In one of my other post where a friend had purchased a 86 and it stayed in the shop more than he had it for three year he was furnished with a car. Lemons are made by all.

Iris Leuntjens

What is your e-mail address? What all do you want? I have a scanner so I can send whatever you want. My direct e-mail address is:pcaac@msn.com. Thanks!

Buddy

Hi Iris,
Thanks for responding to our forum on Call for Class Action Lawsuit on Unsafe MH" in the Talkback section. I also wanted to comment on the reply to your "Reasonable legal assistance" from RML714 who suggested contacting the CEO/President of the manufacturer of a problem motorhome as well as contacting the BBB of the area. Please help us keep the roads safe. Thanks for listening to this request.