Reception issues with digital converter box

BarneyB

I installed a digital converter box in my coach and I get a lot of channels at some tracks I am at and hardly any at others. "We do a lot of travling to race tracks."
Is there something that I can do to improve this?

Thanks, Barney :(

TexasClodhopper

Re: Reception issues with digital converter box

Put up more metal to receive more signal, and make it more directional and less omnidirectional. Don't forget that going higher is better, also.

C Nash

Barney, you can buy a little antenna that connects onto your existing antenna that really helps. very simple to install and cost about 30 bucks.

BarneyB

RE: Reception issues with digital converter box

Ok, I ordered an antenna add-on from camping world yesterday so I will see if that helps. Was in Michigan this weekend and could not get any good channels :(

Thanks for the replys!

Kirk

Assuming that you have a Winegarde antenna, the add on is called a "Wingman" and it did help us. One thing that you will find with digital is that while it has a better picture, it also has a shorter range.

BarneyB

It is not a Winegarde brand antenna but they told me at camping world it still should fit. It is a "Wingman".
Thanks Kirk.

Barney

st-bob

I just went through this with a 2003 Hurricane with the Winegard antenna. Digital reception was spotty at best so I bought the add-on UHF unit. While installing it I noticed the feed cable which runs from the antenna head through the support arm and connects to the M/H cable was shot. Unscrewing the F-connectors from the coupler showed corrosion and rust with no DC connection between the M/H amplifier/distribution switch and the antenna head. Replaced the antenna cable and coupler and now it's good as new. So even on a relatively 'young' RV, check the cables on the roof for corrosion or breakage if you've got reception problems.

BarneyB

Well, the wingman did not fit my antenna :( I had all the cables replaced, worked perfect until I had to install the converter box then it is just week. When I was in Indy it was great but you are close to all the stations.

I was thinking rabbit ears :bleh:

BarneyB

Update........I got time to work on it Sunday and I had it wired wrong :clown: :clown: :clown:
It seams to be good now......I ran the antenna wire from the antenna to the converter box and out of it back to the splitter switch......wrong, I had to leave the antenna incoming wire hooked to the splitter and run the to t.v. wire to the converter box and from the converter box to the to t.v. post on the splitter. The only down fall is I think I will only have reception at the main t.v. and not for the one in the bed room.

Just wanted ya'll to know

Barney

*scooter*

Good info BarneyB. I haven't installed the converter in my MH yet, so your wiring suggestion will help. I believe that a separate box will be needed for the bedroom, so I bought two.