reefers

camera nut

Hi, new to group and have a ???. I did a search and found no answer. I just purchased a 1983 Pace Arrow that has sat for a long time , low miles (35K) and looks great except for a little rust on the galvanized fittings. It has not moved since 2000. I think the front wheels are partially locked, after a 2 mile trip the wheels were so hot you couldn't touch them and the grease was frying and running out. I have replaced the tires, replaced some transmission lines that were leaking, replacing the stove vent (salt was turned over in its storage compartment and rusted thru).
I know the fridge has to be level to operate. My owners manuel says to turn it on a few days before a trip, cut it off before you hit the road and restart it when you reach your destination. A couple of RVers tell me to leave it running on the road, it will not harm it and possible good for it since it keeps all the coolant stired up. what do you say??
I am sure I will have many more ?? be patient please.

From The Heart Of Dixie
Harold

C Nash

Re: reefers

Harold, welcome to the forum. Lot of different opinions on running the fridge while driving. We do but, be sure to cut off before refueling. My owners manual says it's ok to leave on while traveling but cut off when refueling. It also states that in some states it is against the law to travel with the propane valve on.

G

As far as the wheels go ,, sounds like a caliper slide is froze up ,, they do that when sitting for a long time ,,, as far as the refer goes ,, is it a 3way ??12volt/120volt/lp ,, if it's only a 2 way ,, IMO yes u can run on LP while traveling ,, but yes do SHUT IT DOWN when fueling ...
My fridge is a 3way type ,, i use LP a few days before i leave ,, to get it cold ,, then when on the road i use the 12v setting ,, keeps it just cold enough to get to my spot and then plug in ,, then i use it 120v ,, but JMO,, and welcome to the forum :approve: :cool: :) :) ;)

camera nut

What is a caliper slide, how do I fix it. I raised the front wheels off the ground yesterday, they turn(not spin) and I hear scraping sound (pad on disk).
Why cut the reefer off when fueling?? it is a 3 way

G

ok a caliper slide is what ,, the caliper uses to move ,, in and out ,, if u hear a grinding sound ,, u may have more probs ,, this is what i would do ,, take the caliper off the rotor ,,, two bolts ,, very easy to get to ,, then , with the caliper off see if u can push the places where the bolts that u just took off are easy to move ,, if not then there is u'r problem ,, if they are then i would go to local parts store and get a caliper hardware kit ,, but u may have some pad's that are grinding into the rotor ,, ok next one ,,, refridge ,, if u have a 3way fridge ,, run it on 12 volt when u travel ,, that way no need to shut it down when u refuel ,, but if it's on LP ,, then u have a situation that may cause an explosion ,, so shut it down if on LP ,, if u need to know more,, PM me and i'll be glad to walk u thru the brakes and the fridge