Refrigator/Propane

turnipbwc

Hello Forum Readers,
I was wondering what other people do when they are on the road. Do you let your refrigator run on propane while traveling ?
On the RV Travel site the Question of the Week was "Refrigator On Or Off While Traveling" it was issue #137. I was surprised to see that
68.27 percent say they do often.
9.89 percent say sometimes.
4.81 percent say yes but rarely and only
17.03 percent say no never.
I always thought it was against the law or to dangerous but after I think about it, there are buses and trucks that run on propane instead of gas. I used to drive a school bus that ran on propane. So what would be the harm of driving my RV with the refrigator running on propane ?
I would like to hear from the forum readers out there on what they do and do you think it is safe ?
Thanks,
Ray

Gary B

Refrigator/Propane

Hi Ray we have traveled with our LP on for well over 25 years, rv appliances were designed to operate while traveling, as you have noted there are 10's of 1000's of vehicles powered with LP or CNG. Having the refer on is the only way to keep it cool particularly in hot weather, and running the furnace in the winter to stay warm, one should turn off the appliances before stopping for fuel though. It is not illegal or anymore dangerous then having 70 / 80 gallons of gasoline in a thin sheet metal tank hanging under a vehicle travel 60 / 70 mph. Open LP tanks are not allowed on ferries, some tunnels and bridges, but other wise its legal. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

ARCHER

Refrigator/Propane

Hey Ray, I use my Frig while traveling but I'm lucky to have a 3 way, meaning, I use my aux batteries to run it while on the road. If I did not have a 3 way, I'd use LP to keep it running, but would make sure I did leak test, shut off at fueling, safety! I don't run furnace while traveling, cause I don't travel to places where I'd need it while on the road.
Hey Gary, got snow yet? :cool: :cool: :cool:

Poppa

Refrigator/Propane

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Yes Lelia and I run our frig on propane while on the road. Kids don't like warm milk or drinks and in as I am not from England or Europe beer tastes better cold.

On long hauls you wind up using Ice chests and stopping for and paying 2 dollars for a 50 cent drink.

Kirk

Refrigator/Propane

quote:
I always thought it was against the law or to dangerous but after I think about it, there are buses and trucks that run on propane instead of gas.

Actually, it is neither. There are laws about propane in tunnels in some places but none for normal highway travel. And your propane system was designed to be used while traveling. How would you propose to keep the water lines in a travel trailer from freezing when traveling in subzero cold? All motorized propane systems have had a safety valve that will stop the flow of gas in the event a line should rupthre since the early 50's. And part of the new requirements for the OPD valves in current removable tanks are the same type of safety feature. It is true that there is slightly less risk when you travel with the propane valve shut, but only a small risk. The most dangerous fuel in most rigs is the gasoline tank. There is really nothing wrong with turning propane off, it you feel more comfortable that way, but there has never been a proven case of a fire from propane in use while traveling.

And yes, we do operate the refrigerator on propane while under way and in cold weather, the furnace as well.

turnipbwc

Refrigator/Propane

Many Thanks to all that answered my question about driving with the propane on with the refrigator.
To Archer, I always thought running the frig on the aux battery would be to hard on the battey. Does it run you aux battery down ? I have a Class B Roadtrek and only have one aux battery and for that reason never used the frig on the aux battery while driving even though it charges while driving. I guess I should try it and see what happens. The propane tank on a Roadtrek is not very big, maybe 6 gallon at the most so the aux battery may be the best and save the propane for the stove.
Thanks again to all,
Ray

ARCHER

Refrigator/Propane

Ray,
I have two aux batteries and one primary engine battery. I have a switch on my dash that is for primary battery or "dual". While I am driving, I put it in the dual mode so that my alternator is charging all three batteries and I run the fridge while on the road driving. I have been doing this for the last three years (trip to Florida and Back in spring) and have not had any problems with the batteries. With only one aux battery you might have a problem, but not sure. If I had too, I'd use the LP while driving, but really don't want to. I know a lot of folks use LP and that is great...just not my choice. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;)

janicenlarry

Refrigator/Propane

It is a very dangerous practice to travel with your LP on. I had 2 close calls before I listened to the experts. These units are efficient enough to hold the cold from the time you leave your campground in the AM til you check in at nite, especially if you have a cooler for your drinks and limit the number of times you open and close the refer. I now have a 3 way unit that operates off of 12V DC while traveling and it holds temp pretty good. :laugh:

turnipbwc

Refrigator/Propane

Thanks Archer.
I may try the aux battery on short trips and the propane on longer trips. We take several day trips because the Little Lady is still working, so using the aux battery should work fine on the short day trips. I may have to check the water level more often in the aux battery and that is a job because it is under the rear seat. I someday hope to trade my 1995 Roadtrek for a 2003 that has the battery outside and on a slide tray. Another reason for trading is the 6.0 engine in the 2003 Chevy.
Many Thanks Archer and Happy RVing to you.
Ray

robsouth

Refrigator/Propane

Larry, what kind of close calls are you talking about with the LP? I have been traveling for 25 years using the LP to cool the fridge and never had a problem. Just wondering. Robert

ARCHER

Refrigator/Propane

Ray, Just thought of something. I assume you have a 3 way frig, right? If it is only a 2 way, ac and lp, you can't use the one aux battery you have.

C Nash

Refrigator/Propane

Larry, I would also like to know of the close calls with the LP. We travel with ours on but, do turn off before fueling. Who were the experts that warned you not to travel with lp on?

janicenlarry

Refrigator/Propane

First problem was a fitting that loosened while driving. My wife noticed smell but I discounted it until we got into campground and sure enough it was blowing LP. Hate to think what would have happened if somebody had flipped a cigarette at a traffic light or fumes found a spark or hot muffler. Second was a fitting that came loose on stove leaking into compartment while traveling. Fortunatly the alarm got that one. All this was on a coach 3 yrs old at the time. Sellers of LP, rig mfgrs., firefighters and RV magazine tech writers all are of opinion that it is very dangerous to travel with your LP system on. Too big a risk vs. convenience of keeping your refer cold when it is unecessary. These units are well insulated and with a little planning, you can keep the interior cold. :cool: