Removing Side Decals/Stickers

akjimny

I know there are other threads out there addressing this but my bro-in-law and I removed the old, sun cracked sticker off the side of the motor home today. We had to use razor blade scrapers , elbow grease and the Boss Lady's hair dryer. Not fun and not pretty. Now I have to remove the glue residue. Acetone seems to work, but I worry about damaging the fiberglass gel coat.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the residue off without damaging the side of the MH?

Also, I am considering masking off the ghost outline and repainting the area where the sticker was. Paint I can do - reapplying a big sticker I'm not too sure about. Does this sound like a good idea? :) :)

C Nash

Re: Removing Side Decals/Stickers

I would go with painting Jim. Just try the Acetone on a small area first. No opinion on getting the glue off. Good luck

Grandview Trailer Sa

Try Goo Gone.

I doubt a thinner will hurt a fiberglass surface. Now, you might see the shadow of the old decal, and that you would have to paint over.

JimE

RE: Removing Side Decals/Stickers

Jimmy for my work trucks we use a product called decal remover. Most auto parts stores sell it and it works pretty good. Older decals need a few applications and a little more elbow grease but the stuff does work pretty good.

akjimny

Sticker is off thanks to my Bro-In-Law and a razor blade. Adhesive came off with 3M Woodgrain and Sticker Remover. Now I need to buff out the gel coat and hopefully get rid of the ghost image of the sticker. Either that or tape it off and repaint it.

Just one last question - Why to the manufacturers use those big stickers instead of paint?

H2H1

cheaper to put them on than have to pay someone to mask off the area to be painted and with diffferent painted section. That is what I am thinking :laugh:

akjimny

You're probably right. I'll probably repaint it after buffing just so I don't have to remove the one on the other side. Although my Bro-In-Law said no one can see both sides at the same time, soooo..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nutravlr

RE: Removing Side Decals/Stickers

Goo Gone spray gel will work really well. Wife got it at WalMart for me I think. Also, any commercial outfit that makes custom decals has the stuff that does a great, quick job and very low cost.

j2detroit

3m makes a decal eraser that is used with an electic or crdless drill will not scratch the surface and no solvets on the paint aval at auto parts stores that sell 3m products :cool: