Replacing Potty

ARCHER

Well, I finally need to replace my potty in the ole gal. Started leaking two days ago and I can't figure out exactly where it is leaking from, so I'm just gonna go buy a new potty tomorrow and install it. Any hints as to what is the easiest method for doing this kind of replacement? I know ya gotta take two nuts off and remove the water line (water off of course) and then it just ought to lift right off. Installation should be just reversed, making sure seal is in right place and nuts tightened properly but not too tight and then connect water line. Any other things I ought to know??? :dead: :approve: ;)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Replacing Potty

You are correct, if you have the same toilet to replace your old one, you can do it in 10 minutes or less.

The biggest problem we run into is the water line. Newer toilets water inlets are usually located different and some plumbing has to be done.

zigzagrv

RE: Replacing Potty

Grandview is correct. I replaced mine earlier this year and had to add tubing to reach the relocated water inlet. No big deal. It's an easy job......Good luck.

ARCHER

RE: Replacing Potty

Thanks for the help. Went to RV store and tried to save some bucks so bought just the seal for toilet to drain. Discounted water line, two nuts and it lifted right off. Put in new seal and reinstalled old toilet. Still got a leak so have ordered a new one and it should be in tomorrow. Old one is going on 9 years old so life exp is near complete, I guess. RV guy told me I'd have to do water line differently but explained it real clearly so I shouldn't have any problems. I'll let ya know. ;)

C Nash

Archer, I know about how old you are. You sure the leak is not coming from you standing up and aiming :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . Might be time you sitting down :eek: Sorry, couldn't let this one pass Archer :evil: :evil:

Poppa

Stand a little closer it may be shorter than you think.

Archer I thought you were from the old school and still used the nearest tree.

ARCHER

Ok, Ok.....sit down, once in a while, tree once in a while (depends on what State I'm in). Got the new potty installed and have a leak in the water line connections. Had a heck of a time getting the nuts on the new potty. Ain't no room for fingers on these things. Had to buy two extra fittings to get water connected since original plumbing is so old (1989). Will disconnect later and put tape on connections and try it again. I had used the plumbers blue stuff but it still drips. Fittings I had to buy were brass and connecting to the old grey plastic/pvc piping. Thank goodness I got a palm tree out back...... :dead: ;) ;)

snapfish

Hi Archer
To save yourself the hassle or going back and forth to get the right parts, it would be good idea if you do your repair/ replacement near camping world or an RV store.
All the replies above are correct. You might need to have some plumbing work done and you need to be close to a parts store. Good luck.

s.harrington

If you have the old Aqua-Magic Starlite or Gallaxy, you are better off replacing it. If the floor plate is leaking it costs over $100.00 for a replacement if you can find one. A Bravara is the direct replacement but you will have to ad about 14 inches of water line to reach the valve. If you have a universal floor flange (4 slots for screws) you may want to invest a little money and get a Sealand 510 or 511. Porcelin and larger bowl.

ARCHER

Thanks all. Got it all installed and no water leaks at this time. I did take the plumbing loose and put the tape on and retightened it and it worked. Thanks for all the advice.