Rita and 5th Wheel

Shadow

Hi guys, with Rita's new path maybe going to Galveston or Beaumont we are going to stay put. We have the house and barn secured, but my question is the 5th Wheel. Was thinking of filling fresh water tank, lowering the front and rear landing gear, and leaving it hooked to the truck. Wise choice, or get the truck away from the 5th Wheel? If Rita goes in east of us, we may have 70 to 90 mph winds. Thanks guys. We may still break and run, but as of right now will be staying put. Don't worry Chelse, the Chevelle has the best spot in the barn. ;)

DL Rupper

Rita and 5th Wheel

I think cut and run is the best option. House and barn won't know if you are there or not. 5th wheel will do better somewhere else.

Shadow

Rita and 5th Wheel

Hi DL. We are planning to stay in our home, but are seeking input on best way to secure our 5th wheel in the yard. Thanks.

C Nash

Rita and 5th Wheel

Shadow, point the 5th wheel front to the direction of the wind and remember it wii reverse when the backside comes by. Do not park it near trees or loose articles that the wind can pick up. Would be a good time to go on a camping trip away from the storm. Want me to come out and pick up the chevelle. need something to go racing with. Sure would like to smell some burning goodyears. Good luck and thoughts and prayers are with you'll. Keep us posted. Am really worried about Poppa in Louisiania. Haven't heard from him since the hurricane went through. Think he was located in Slidell.

turnipbwc

Rita and 5th Wheel

When the wind gets to bad take the truck and 5th wheel and get out of there. The 5th wheel will not survive in those winds. You will need a place to stay anyway until you can go back home.
turnip42

Shadow

Rita and 5th Wheel

Thanks guys, all roads out are like a parking lot. My nephew was told to go to work this morning. When he got there they sent him home. Don't know why they didn't call him. Took him twelve and a half hours to get ninety miles to home. He told us it was a real stressful and scary ride home in 99 degrees weather. People are running out of gas just adding to the gridlock. Chelse, maybe Poppa ended up at a shelter somewhere and hasn't had time or the capability to get on line.

C Nash

Rita and 5th Wheel

Shadow sure looks as though you will be pretty well right in the track of Rita so you could very well get winds of 90 mph. We had winds that gusted to 70 75 from Katrina and we are probably futher inland than you. Guess you will be kinda on the west side so maybe the rain will be less. Sure wish you would hook up and move further west and inland. From the looks of the pictures we are getting here the interstates are to full for leaving now anyway. They are telling here now that it seems to be moving a little further east and that will be good for you. maybe rita will slow down some before landfall as it travels over shallow water and hits land. Crazy how these things seem to be hitting major cities.

Shadow

Rita and 5th Wheel

Chelse, all is well here. Been taking plywood down and getting things back in their place. We were real lucky Rita weakened and turned to the east. It realy messed up east Texas, and La. got hit hard again. Here we may have gotten 50 mph winds and hardly no rain. We took your advice on positioning the 5th wheel and all turned out well. Thanks for checking on us and we'll talk to you later.

jlfulcherjr

Rita and 5th Wheel

I had to cut and run but could not go north from galveston, went west to victoria, tx. I had to cancel my trip to Branson, MO. I had made 3 different resverations along the way. Allof the the RV parks canceled with-out charging a fee. except Musisland in Branson, MO They charged us $29.00. They told us the Hurricane was not their problem.. I guess i wont
be staying there next time.

Just my 2 cents