Roadtrek 190 Popular water system problem

pmstirling

Hi all -

We just got back from 3 weeks in our 1998 Roadtrek 190 Popular (we love it!). We travelled from Mexico where we live (near Guadalajara) up to Kentucky via Big Bend, Hot Springs and Mammoth Cave, then back via the Natchez Trace and Austin - 4800 miles!

During the trip the water system was acting oddly. The pump would run much longer than normal after shutting off the tap, and when running the tap would gurgle and splurt -- air in the system, obviously. There are no leaks though, and it all worked fine on external water.

I am guessing that either a check valve has failed somewhere, there's a leak that allows air into the system but not water to escape (don't see how that could happen though?), or it's the pump itself.

any suggestions would be welcome!
thanks
patrick

LEN

Re: Roadtrek 190 Popular water system problem

Could be a crack in the line between the pump and the water tank. On the xternal water it should bypass the pump and the tank.

LEN

pmstirling

Re: Roadtrek 190 Popular water system problem

Thanks for the pointer. I also emailed Roadtrek -- let me give them a plug: their tech support is excellent! I've emailed them twice with problems and both times they've responded the same day, moreover with useful suggestions to boot! In this case he suggested checking the tank fill valve by the city water hookup and the filter between the water tank and supply hose.

However your suggestion wins the prize. I crawled under and poked around, and get this: the left rear shock was loose at the top!! The nut had fallen off, and the top end of the shock was completely detached from its mount. Luckily there's no damage other than that the end of the shock has worn holes in both the water supply hose and the drainpipe. I have a sneaking suspicion that this has been going on for a while, judging by the state (rusty) of the shock mounting bolt, and the rather bouncy ride.

cheers
patrick