Roadtrek Question

turnipbwc

I was checking my tires today on my 1995 Dodge Roadtrek. They are LT225-75R-16, 2 ply. I am sure that is the size that's susposed to be on it according to the plate on the door. What I am not sure of is the 2 ply. Should they be more than 2 ply ? The plate also says 55 psi front and 80 psi rear. That is what I have been running the pressure at with no problems, handles great. After reading another forum I got concerned about the 2 ply. What are the rest of you Roadtrek owners running your tire pressure at and do you have 2 ply tires ?
My GVWR is 8510
GAWR 3600 front
GAWR 5360 rear
I bought it used and it had Firestone tires on it, they look new. I do know that Michelin tires came on it new. I have heard about a lot of blowouts on Firestone tires a while back but nothing lately. ANy feedback will be appreciated.
turnip42

Will Daniels

Roadtrek Question

Hi,Turnip:
I too have a 95 Roadtrek 190v which I bought in 2003 with the original Michelin tires and only 30000 miles.Because of age and small cracks in the sidewalls I replaced them last year with BFG t/a Commercial which have 2ply sidewalls.The tread has 2 polyester plies and 2 steel plies. I looked at the spare which is original and it has 2ply sidewalls and 3 steel plies in the tread. I have read some other sites and have tried different tire pressures,but have found the best for me is 55f and 70r. I only use 80r if I am carrying a lot of stuff. My GVWR is the same as yours. Suggest you check the age of the Firestones even if they look good. The numbers imprinted on the sidewall after DOT indicate the week and year they were made.

turnipbwc

Roadtrek Question

Will,
Thanks for writing back. The BFG tires you bought are the same as the Firestone tires on my Roadtrek, 2 ply sidewalls, the tread has 2 polyester plies and 2 steel plies. My spare is the original Michelin and it has 2ply sidewalls and 3 steel plies in the tread just the same as yours.
Thanks for telling me about the sidewall numbers that indicate the week and year they were made. I never knew that before now. I think they are somewhat new because I found the original slip where the Roadtrek came new with Michelin tires on it but I also found a slip for BFG tires. That would indicate to me this is the third set of tires which puzzles me because it only has 30K miles on it. Maybe the orginal owner was cautious and put new tires on it every few years. After all it is 10 years old.
Have you had any problems with your '95 ? Would like to know id you have.
Thanks again for writing back to me.
turnip42 (Ray)

Will Daniels

Roadtrek Question

Turnip: I should have mentioned that these are "E" rated tires which are equivelent to a 10 ply regular tire. I have had one major problem since I bought the RT in 2002,and that was the main computer.Fortunately I was close to home and had it towed to my local mechanic. He seemed to think it was kind of a freak thing as he had never changed one in a Dodge before,but mostly in GM products. I was lucky to find a rebuilt one from a NJ distributor for about $250,but the labor and towing cost me just as much. I also had a generator installed,and an awning which I was able to do myself. I also put 2 slide bolts on the closet/commode doors as they were coming open often
on rough roads. Changed the original shocks to Bilsteins and added Correct-Trak spacers. Have taken several trips to CT and FL (I am in NC) and We love the convenience of the RT,mpg averages 15-16 at 65-70 mph.

turnipbwc

Roadtrek Question

Will,
I don't see any "E" on my tires so they must be 2 ply. I have never had any trouble with my Roadtrek. I should have the shocks changed someday. They are probably the ones that came on it new. Sounds like those computers are expensive. I don't have any trouble with the closet/commode doors coming open, just rattle a lot. What are Correct-Trak spacers ?
We like our Roadtrek too and do a lot of day trips and it works great for that. I someday want to trade up to the 2003 Chevy with the 6.0 engine and the RV battery on the slide tray outside. Thinking of towing a light car behind and need the 6.0 engine for that. That's all down the road, can't afford it right now. I get the same MPG on trips 15/16 and usually run the speed limit.
Thanks again for the information.
turnip42

C Nash

Re: Roadtrek Question

Notice he has made 480 post. He should be banned by now :angry: Course he must have sat up all night posting here :disapprove:

H2H1

Re: Roadtrek Question

you would think that CINDY would have deleted him/her by now. I think they know the mod. only works 5 days aweek and this will stay on till Monday :(