Roadtrek

tricon

I have a 96 Dodge roadtrek that is all over the road. I have replaced everything in the frone end including the steering gear box, new E rated tires and shocks. Anything above 55 mph is a white knuckle experience. My mechanic and I are at wits end. Any thoughts on what the problem is. This thing only has 62,000 milews on it. Tricon

C Nash

Sounds like you need to check the rear end area. Might need a stablizer kit installed. Have you cked the stablizer bushings? Alignment ok What about weight of rv? Maybe overload Welcome to the forum

akjimny

What is the weight ratio - front to rear. Sounds like it might be heavy in the rear end and unloading the front tires. Find a truck scale and get it weighed - front axle, rear axle and combined.:):)

LEN

Have you checked ball joints, tie_rod ends, drag link, wheel bearings, 4 wheel alignment? I'm betting a good alignment shop will find the problem, not just throwing money at parts.

LEN

tricon

Nash, Just got this rig. I have no fluids in any of the holding tanks, so its just barew bones now. So I am concerned at how it will drive when I get ready for a trip and fully loaded. Front end align is perfect. I did have air bags put on but that did nothing. I did find that this rig does not have any sort of factory sway bar on it...was real surprised at that. Would a sway bar help? You mentioned stabalizer bushings. Is that a front end or rear end feature...how will I reconize them? What are the tell-tell signs I should look for? Thanks again, Tricon

tricon

Everything in the front is new including the steering box. Is stabalizer the same as sway bar? I will ask my front end guy about a front/rear alignment. thanks

C Nash

there should be a sway control on the front and the bushing sometimes wear out. No sure on the rear on that rv but sounds like a sway bar is needed if there is not one. Often overlooked is simply tire pressure. As Len mentioned rear alignment is very important. Have you ran a carfax check to see if it has ever been wrecked. No way should there be a white knuckle drive unless you were trying in hight crosswinds LOL. If that's the case the only answer is don't drive in high wind. I.m assuming that here has been nothing added to the rear to add extra weight. Still think you will find something wrong there. What brand of tire? Did it do this before you installed them.

LEN

Think if the guy replaced all you said and it still has problems I would go to another shop and see what they say.

LEN

tricon

Unit was never wrecked. One owner and it sat unused for three years. Tires had rot so I replaced them with new 245X75X16 Continentals. RV has nothing in it...nothing in any of the holding tanks. New ball Joints....everything and I mean everything in the front is new. 50 psi in front and 70 in rear. I still need to ck on the rear alignment. The front was done after the new tires and front end rebuild. I even put air bags on the rear. Sway bar will likely be next. Am I expecting too much from this vehicle? No high wind problems. I don't know what fwill hapen when I have this thing loaded for a trip and I do get some wind! Thanks you guys I appreciate the feed back. Tricon

C Nash

Well hard to say much not being able to drive it Tricon. Some do expect rvs to habdle and ride like a car and it just aint so. Takes some getting used to. I personely like driving our MH on trips better than car. Yes it will sway some and I feel the bumps in the road more. A rattle here and there and sometimes we hear things falling. Expect all this and it'll be just like the sounds at home. Enjoy

LEN

If the steering gear box is too tight it will cause steering problems like jerking or over steer. Ball joint and tie rod ends can do the same, drag link also, basically all steering joints. Wheel bearings if loose also. The Roadtreks I've been in drove just like the van they are, very well. That's why I say take it to another shop before you throw a bunch of more $$$$$$$ parts at it.

LEN

gibbs36

I too just bought a Roadtrek (1990 Versatile on a Dodge B250 EXT) and mine was also all over the road at any speeds above 55. I read your problem yesterday in an attempt to fix mine. Here's what I did to take up the play.

I narrowed it down to the steering coupler or the steering gear box adjustment with research. Then I narrowed it down further by turning the ignition on to unlock the steering but not starting the vehicle, grabbing the coupler and turning quickly (jerking) back and forth. You should be able to feel where the pins kick in - it'll make a noise. Mine was nill.

So I adjusted the steering gear in accordance with TSB 19-10-97 http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1997/19-10-97.htm

Mine needed 1/4 turn in.

Now - NO MORE STEERING PLAY!! I've got it in the shop to do an alignment today to fix some of the "darting" that it was doing and check suspension, but the problem was 95% fixed.