Roof Rack Install Questions...

kevinfromwebb

Hey Yall, I've got a couple of install questions. I'm going to put a rack on top of my TT. I've got a Bobcat by Keystone which I believe has fiberglass and foam walls and roof with aluminum studs. Questions: 1) What's the best way to find the studs in the roof??? I was thinking about using just a regular stud finder, it says it will find wood or metal studs. 2) I'm going to be running some screws down to the studs thru the rubber roof,I was worried about either ripping the material or the threads of the screw catching and twisting the roof. I had thought about making a small cut in the roof where I would put the screws??? What do ya think??? 3) Any ideas on what kind of channel the studs is??? Didn't know if it was "I" or "T" shaped channel??? 4) Wonder how long a screw I will need to get a good bite on the stud??? Sorry bout the long post and thanks ahead of time for all help and thoughts... Kevin

C Nash

Kevin, I would first ck to see if the Bobcat roof could support the rack with extra weight. Have you talked with a service person at the dealer, forget the salesman, about the construction? Most are willing to give you this info. Be sure and seal the screws.

Chelse L. Nash

thumbs

How about gettin a hold of Keystone and seein what they have to say. Funny thing, I was thinkin about the poss of puttin some kinda rack on the roof of a Laredo to carry a couple of kayaks. This should be interesting.

Hey Chelse, gettin real short huh?????????;-}}}

Gary

Souderton, Pa

Grandview Trailer Sa

For the first poster, you wont tear the rubber roof by sticking a screw through it. I agree you need talk to Keystone to see if the roof can even support a rack and what you want to put up there. You will need Self Leveling Sealant to reseal the roof after you mount it. Do NOT use caulking....it won't stick to the roof.

C Nash

Ken the first poster was 2002 LOL. He has either probably ruined his rv or happy with it. Dont know how some of these post are drug back up.
Second poster I saw a fifth wheel with 2 kayaks mounted on the rear of his camper. Didnot see how he had it but worth looking into.

C Nash

Never hurts to answer a question Ken no matter how old. Especially from a pro like you. when someone revives a old post I seldom pay any attention to when original poster posted. Only reason I caught this one was I saw Thumbs respond and was thinking wow great to see him back. Also glad you did because I saw on my 02 post I had my email on it so got to delete that.

dan_johnston

Hi guys, Did you get that rack installed? How'd it go?

I have a BT cruiser and am needing to put a rack on it to carry two surfboards. I'm going to use a rail system where the rail is 60" long and with cross bars to load boards on. Total weight would be about 40 pounds. I know the roof will take it but wondering your thoughts about useing wood screws to fasten the rails down to membrain and plywood subsurface (1/4"). What should I use to seal the screw holes? Self Leveling stuff?

thanks for your help.
dan

LEN

Yes seal with the self-leveling Sealant and plenty of it, under the rack,in the screw hole and on the screw. Water has a way of getting in if you give it the slightest chance. Also make sure you use stainless screws as the regular will rust and then the water will follow. Also try to find a stud to mount to, always the better choice rather than just the top itself.

LEN

LEN