Roof sealing edges

RVItasca

My motorhome is 1978 so there like 3 differant colors of sealant around out side edges on the roof .. So I was going to remove this old nasty stuff ..and put on a fresh coat of self sealing culk RV sealant .. I can see the reason these seems crack open is do to flex in the rig and the use of culk that gets dry and cracks (cheap junk)
anyway has anyone found a easy way to get this old culk off ?? heating gun ?? what works best ?? also after I get the fresh culk on I'm going paint the whole roof with RV roof sealing latex Black jack white for mobilehomes(got at menards) This motorhome been stored in shed and never had any water damage yet but its time to do a bit of updating before it does ..thanks for any info ..

Kirk

Roof sealing edges

The best way to remove the caulk depends upon what type of caulk it is and the material the roof is made of. I am guessing that a 1978 has an aluminum roof. If so, you can use just about any solvent on it, but be careful to not get an excessive amount to where it might run down into the walls. I would use a good quality, self leveling caulk that is reccomended for use on aluminum. As to the roof coating, just keep in mind that if you put it on and it doesn't hold up, you will need to remove it in order to use some other product. There are products made for RV roofs, and they might be a better choice. Keep in mind that a mobile home generally sits still while an RV is moving, vibrating and flexing. So be sure that the product you have chosen will hold up in mobile use.

RVItasca

Roof sealing edges

All the Materials I got are for RV's so well see what happens :approve: and yes it is aluminum ... Thanks for the info .. its pretty cool that your using starband portable .. happy RVing ...

ARCHER

Roof sealing edges

My old Winnebago (89) has an aluminum roof. I use PlasTCoat to seal the edges (seams) and it seems to be excellent. I taped it off and put it over the old seals after I bought it (they were cracked, etc., but too hard to remove). :)

RVItasca

Roof sealing edges

Is plastcoat latex ? The person that recomendded this Black jack RV coat Latex I have said I didn't have to Culk and to just put on a one good coat and I be set It looks like a super thick latex paint ..
I was going to use some self sealing culk also on the edges just to be safe..

danboone

Roof sealing edges

First thing I would do is get rid of the coating you have it is sub standard. remember you get what you pay for. Buy good coating and do it once, and do it right.