Rookie RV'r

WaltC

Well, 3 months after the search began, I purchased my RV today. Of course 3 days prep for the trailer and 1 day for my truck means Monday is the day! Was hoping to have the week end to get aquainted with our new friend. :( Oh well, plenty of time. I have been reading this forum so long my eyes are crossing. So much valuable information from those who have been there. The black water tank flushing and cleaning posts made my wife decide who will have that job. Story of my life I guess. Anyway, from reading your posts you are all ladies and gentlemen and I am trying to soak up all of your info rather than find out the hard way!

Walt

Krazeehorse

Rookie RV'r

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the hobby. You can definitely learn a lot from this forum. Then you can customize those tips to fit your own habits. Have fun and hope to see more of you on here.
:)

WaltC

Rookie RV'r

Thank you so much. I need a lot of help here. Monday is the big day and we both think of the RV constantly. Hey what do we have to lose. Four kids, 2 daughters and 2 sons. It is our time now. No more school plays, senior projects, ER rooms with a sore throat, we deserve this and we are gonna do it! God bless all of you folks.

Kirk

Rookie RV'r

Welcome to the RV lifestyle. The fun and the learning have just begun. Who knows, you may even one day join those of us who live in our RVs fulltime?

hertig

Rookie RV'r

Hello, did you check to make sure that that 1/2 ton truck could safely pull that 27 foot trailer? In the past, generally, towing more than 5000 or 6000 pounds with a 1/2 ton truck was not a good idea. Hopefully the modern 1/2 tons have increased towing capacity.

WaltC

Rookie RV'r

The weight for 1/2ton Dodge Hemi according to Dodge and other forums is 8850 to 9200. The wet weight of our trailer is 7400 ( if we load to the hilt) and the dry is 5200. The gross weight rating for my truck and trailer is 14,000 and we are at max, 11,000. Unless you know something I don't, I think we are fine. Yes we did our homework. 1/2 tons will safely pull travel trailers if the limits are respected. Same with 3/4 or 1 ton.

hertig

Rookie RV'r

Sounds like you have it covered. Only thing left to check (if it is a 5th wheel) is that adding the pin weight of the trailer would exceed the rear axle weight of the truck. Travel trailers usually don't have a problem in this area.

WaltC

Rookie RV'r

You know, if I would have known RV was on the menu I would have got a 3/4 ton. I brought the trailer home today and I wouldn't go with any more weight even though I am still 2000" under. I knew it was there. However the hemi did excellent. I did get a Prodigy brake control and it was a dream. Gas went from 13.5mpg to 7.6mpg but that's the way it is with gas. I parked it in the RV pad at my home and my wife and I had a glass of wine. Life is good huh? YOu know I started working when I was 11 years old. 4 kids and 1 United States Marine later, it is time for us. I can't think 3/4, 1 ton, or 5 ton. Our trailer is for 2 people even if 60' long!!!I am still 1 ton under the ratings. We will take our first "cruise" next weekend. Just a short trip of 15 miles but I need to get used to everything before the big trip. I have been down to the trailer 4 times this evening and just sat there. Of course all I could see was my front yard! It was still cool! At 58 years old, anything that is cool is a blessing!

Stay safe my friend,

Walt

Poppa

Rookie RV'r

Walt C

You better watch what Krazeehorse says, The word HOBBY, Man withs kids , and I have them, its an adventure. Take them to see this great country of ours and DO NOT GET IN A HURRY. That takes all the kick back and relax out of it.

Oh it makes a nice tool for keeping the marriage going smooth :laugh: , things get a little rough in the house :( , you can get fool around with the camper also make for a fine dog house :clown: .

As with all , welcome to our world

flyboy1

Rookie RV'r

Hey you go Walt. I think the same as you any time I am asked how many people my 29' Prowler sleeps I tell them a very firm TWO !!! ( well my 3 yr old grandson is my full time camping buddy but thats all ) By the way when we bought our rig everyone said I would not be happy, we have a 2001 Toyota Tundra and a Prowler lynx ultralite its 29' and loaded, it weighs about 4500lbs empty and I figure it is near 6000 ready to have fun. I have never been sorry for a minute. My milage pulling the trailer is about the same as yours except last year we went to north AL it got down to around five in the steeper pulls.
Have fun with your new rig
Glenn

WaltC

Rookie RV'r

Rain, rain, and more rain! Taking all my trips so far on the internet! I did think to pull in the slide before it rained! I think the water on the roof and sides would run off in to my livingroom! We made the sacrificial trip to Wal-Mart.........$600.00 later we left. Course $300.00 was in bedding my wife bought. And maybe a very small TV that I got. Lot's of things for $.94 there. We watched the weight of everything we bought. I still have a list a mile long. You guys have that problem??? My buddy said don't buy it until you need it 3 times. Sounds like it would work, unless of course it is fuel :laugh: Oh well all you folks stay safe and I rely on all of your posts.

orbital

Rookie RV'r

Hey Walt,

I am in the same boat, I picked up my new fifth wheel Saturday. Our maiden voyage was to be this holiday weekend. It looks like rain for the forecast, I guess we will postpone. Just like you we spent Saturday night sipping coctails and having dinner in it, kinda like a night in your first new house. Hope you have fun with it.

WaltC

Rookie RV'r

Laughing my $%#@ off. I went down again tonight, let the slider out and listened to bluegrass music. Maybe someday the weather will help us. Not worried about rain, just we can't go anywhere here, 13' of snow over Donner Summit, fog in the valley, geez, guess you have to make your own day huh? I need warm spring, birds, flowers, and clear running water in the creek. Oh well, just a few more weeks.( or so). It sure looks pretty just sitting there! We live in Northern California in the Sierra Nevada foothills, Grass Valley. You folks keep me smiling with your posts. Please don't stop! :cool:

Rookie RV'r

15 degrees in Leonard Michigan, with snow!
Hubby keeps sneaking out to MH just to "check"....we're getting cabin fever & need to get that on the road. Mind you, not easy to "sneak" in the RV since it's all tied down with tarps & ropes, but one does get desperate after all this cold weather.

squirt

Rookie RV'r

Hi there! I'm new to the forum. Just posted about buying a pop-up. Was reading the thread about Rookie RV'er and had to laugh: in Dallas today it is probably 82 degrees and sunny. Of course, when it is 105 degrees with 90% humidity in August, you all can laugh at me.

turnipbwc

Rookie RV'r

squirt,
Welcome to the forum. Lot of smart people (not me) on here with a lot of useful information. Send some heat to WV, freezing our butt's off here.
turnip42

ARCHER

Rookie RV'r

I just love yoooo folks. It is so much fun reading all the little statements about rain, snow, ice, colddddd temp, while I am sitting in the sunshine state soaking up some 60 to 80 degree weather and running the A/C during the day and sleeping with the windows open at night with the cool ocean breeze blowing the flowers, trees and sand while I sleep like a baby. Sorry folks, didn't mean to rub it in (hee hee), but I just love retirement and the freedom to come South in the winter months and wear shorts and put on sunscreen and fish in the surf....oops, there I go again.
If I could bundle up some sun and warm temps, I'd send them to all of you in the Big Brown Truck.....keep the faith, ole man winter will soon be gone and you will be putting logs on your campfires, roasting doggies and telling stories about how cold it was this "past winter" and how nice it is that spring and summer has arrived. Thank the good Lord we live in a Free Country where you can enjoy your life, family and the beautiful country that we live in.....I just love it here in the Good Ole USA...... ;)