Route 40 Oklahoma going west

Shelly

Does anyone have any information regarding the road condition of Route 40 out of Oklahoma City, heading west? I read on one of the boards (but can't remember which one) that this stretch of road "tore up" RVs. Something about concrete slab and potholes. AAA has recommended that way, but wonder if we should shoot up north to another route. Appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Don Bickel

Howdy, I live in eastern Ok. and just talked to a friend who went out to Sayre on I40, he was driving a car and didn't pay a lot of attention to the road condition. But he said there are some rough spots around Elk City. Here on the east half there was a bad problem with the joints between the slabs but they have fixed most of them, don't know for sure how far west they have repaired them, but if not, it could be a rough ride. Hopes this helps some. DB

Jedidia

I 40 west of Oklahoma City is very rough and bouncy...Everytime I go over it, my TV tries to exit its supports above my head....It is this way past El Reno, Ok....It does get better the further west you go towards Amarillo, Tx....

Jedidia

I 40 west of Oklahoma City is very rough and bouncy...Everytime I go over it, my TV tries to exit its supports above my head....It is this way past El Reno, Ok....It does get better the further west you go towards Amarillo, Tx....

lookn-ahead

Was in I-40 last Fall. There is MAJOR repair working going on eastbound and I believe westbound as well. This appeared to be a long term job, but it may have gotten better in past several months. I will avoid it this summer as well. Roughest interstate I have been on in a while. With wind out of the south, we had a terrible time crossing Oklahoma all the way from Amarillo to Arkansas. (Which was only a slight inprovement) Has the bridge over the Arkansas River that was knocked down by the barge been repaired yet?

Don Bickel

To Lookn-ahead, I live about 20 miles from the I40 bridge that went down. The repair work is ahead of schedule and it is supposed to be open around the 10th or so of August. DB

hertig

We just traveled that stretch last week, and it was quite unpleasant, but I don't think it caused any damage. Approximately equal to other bad sections of interstate we were on.

hertig

In other words, it was rough (patches), but no pot holes or significantly misaligned road segments